DocBob

Using unassigned cc controllers? e.g. 102

Question

I need to use cc 102 - The list of cc controllers in the piano roll view is limited to only the ones that are conventionally assigned. (1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 10, 11, 64, 65, 66, 67, 69, 91, 92, 93, 94 and 95)   My orchestra software uses 102 for legato.  Any way of get it to work?

5 answers to this question

CC102 is listed in the MIDI Event drop down.

There is no text next to it because  CC102 is not assigned in the MIDI standard.

It is also possible to type 102 directly in the Value field.

bSbc28s.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DocBob said:

It is not in the dropdown list in my installation and I can't figure out why not.  I CAN type it in.

One thing to check is in Preferences | Audio | Instruments - then click "define".

In the proceeding "Define Instruments and Names", on the right pane, click the + next to "controller Names".....  drill down to "Standard" (may not be present). 

If "Standard" does not exist under "controller Names", then you can you can right click on "controller Names" and select "Add controller Names list".   Make sure you name the list "Standard" - (with the upper-case "s").  If you are creating the list, close and restart Cakewalk to complete the task.

The controller names listed there are what appears on PRV controller drop down.  This list can be edited to name your controllers anything you like.

This list can be edited. 

Of course, if you're using an instrument definition file for a hardware synth, then the controller name list will be taken from that instead.

I am hopping that one day, this section of Cakewalk will get an overhaul. One day.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well ain't that simple! But not obvious. It is not in the dropdown list in my installation and I can't figure out why not.  I CAN type it in.

Thanks much.

Edited by DocBob

Thanks Promidi.  As an experiment I loaded the Cakewalk TTS instrument and ALL the cc numbers are present in the dropdown list. So it is not an issue  with Cakewalk per se, but it is directly related to my orchestra instrument, in this case the Garritan (Plogue) Arial player.  Knowing this I'll just type in the cc numbers I need on the fly and be content that we've tied up the loose ends.

Thanks all... Great place for expertise!

Yeah, my image above used TTS-1.

Usually I just reply to "type in the number" but for some reason this time decided to look at the drop down before replying.