Using unassigned cc controllers? e.g. 102

DocBob

Question

I need to use cc 102 - The list of cc controllers in the piano roll view is limited to only the ones that are conventionally assigned. (1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 10, 11, 64, 65, 66, 67, 69, 91, 92, 93, 94 and 95)   My orchestra software uses 102 for legato.  Any way of get it to work?

7 answers to this question

4 hours ago, DocBob said:

It is not in the dropdown list in my installation and I can't figure out why not.  I CAN type it in.

One thing to check is in Preferences | Audio | Instruments - then click "define".

In the proceeding "Define Instruments and Names", on the right pane, click the + next to "controller Names".....  drill down to "Standard" (may not be present). 

If "Standard" does not exist under "controller Names", then you can you can right click on "controller Names" and select "Add controller Names list".   Make sure you name the list "Standard" - (with the upper-case "s").  If you are creating the list, close and restart Cakewalk to complete the task.

The controller names listed there are what appears on PRV controller drop down.  This list can be edited to name your controllers anything you like.

This list can be edited. 

Of course, if you're using an instrument definition file for a hardware synth, then the controller name list will be taken from that instead.

I am hopping that one day, this section of Cakewalk will get an overhaul. One day.

• Like 2

Thanks Promidi.  As an experiment I loaded the Cakewalk TTS instrument and ALL the cc numbers are present in the dropdown list. So it is not an issue  with Cakewalk per se, but it is directly related to my orchestra instrument, in this case the Garritan (Plogue) Arial player.  Knowing this I'll just type in the cc numbers I need on the fly and be content that we've tied up the loose ends.

Thanks all... Great place for expertise!

On 4/15/2020 at 1:39 AM, Promidi said:

One thing to check is in Preferences | Audio | Instruments - then click "define".

In the proceeding "Define Instruments and Names", on the right pane, click the + next to "controller Names".....  drill down to "Standard" (may not be present). 

@Promidi,

Your explanation above helped me to add needed cc's to my PRV controller list.  So now, of course, I'd like to push my luck.  

Is there a way to configure multiple selectable lists of controllers for the PRV?  For example, I would like one controller list for GM instruments, and another to handle controllers related to JABB brass instruments, and perhaps another for Garritan string instruments?  

42 minutes ago, Sleetah2000 said:

@Promidi,

Your explanation above helped me to add needed cc's to my PRV controller list.  So now, of course, I'd like to push my luck.  

Is there a way to configure multiple selectable lists of controllers for the PRV?  For example, I would like one controller list for GM instruments, and another to handle controllers related to JABB brass instruments, and perhaps another for Garritan string instruments?  

I'm afraid there is not.... not for soft synths anyway.  Only hardware synths allow this as part of their respective instrument definition files. 

But you know what.  That would make one hell of a feature request (for the already huge list).