Jump to content
  • 0
Dennis G Pelton

No audio out even tho' the only Output hardware is selected

Question

Cakewalk version = 2019.12

OS= Windows 10 Home, 64-bit,  8G memory

My problem: I don't get any sound. My audio setup is working, when I play a YouTube video (e.g. Rush - Tom Sawyer) I hear sound.

The track is not muted, nor is any other track on solo. I see the meters jumping. No sound.

Files attached showing output select and meters.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

 

CakewalkMeters.png

CakewalkOutput.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

The images and narrative are missing an important detail - is the track playing a clip or is the meter showing input activity? If it is the latter, enable input echo, the button to the right of the record button.

BTW, using the master bus instead of routing tracks directly to the mains is always a good idea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, scook said:

The images and narrative are missing an important detail - is the track playing a clip or is the meter showing input activity? If it is the latter, enable input echo, the button to the right of the record button.

BTW, using the master bus instead of routing tracks directly to the mains is always a good idea.

 

No input, this is a recorded track.

What's good about the master bus vs. directly to the mains? Help an ignorant old guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Running everything though a master bus prevents a lot of surprises mostly to do with the mix level and exporting.

 

So, this is about an audio clip in an audio track where

  • Cakewalk has focus
  • Windows and Cakewalk are running at the same sample rate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
14 minutes ago, scook said:

Running everything though a master bus prevents a lot of surprises mostly to do with the mix level and exporting.

 

So, this is about an audio clip in an audio track where

  • Cakewalk has focus
  • Windows and Cakewalk are running at the same sample rate.

 

Woah. How do I check the sample rate in Windows? Didn't know that was a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Open Windows Settings > System > Sound

Click on Device properties under Output

Click on Additional device properties under Related Settings

Click on the Advanced Tab to see the bit depth - sample rate drop down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, scook said:

Open Windows Settings > System > Sound

Click on Device properties under Output

Click on Additional device properties under Related Settings

Click on the Advanced Tab to see the bit depth - sample rate drop down

Can't thank you enough for all the help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I checked those settings, changed Windows to 44100 (was 48000), still no joy.

But here's where I think the problem is--I have two options for output on the computer the DELL in one of those first screen shots. And the Speakers/Headphones output. But Cakewalk doesn't know about the Headphones output. How do I get it to notice that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

CbB reports the devices based on the what Windows makes available and the driver mode in preferences. Are the headphones identified as a separate audio device in Windows?

There may be something holding on to the old Windows setting. Reboot, verify the Windows sample rate and start CbB.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

See Cakewalk WindowsAudio, attached. Two different devices, one DELL, one Speakers/Headphones. The DELL shows up in Cakewalk, the S/H, no. I tried rebooting, still no joy. 

CakewalkWindowsAudio.png

CakewalkAudioSettings.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...