Jump to content
AndyB01

Take Me As I Am

Recommended Posts

Prepare yourselves, this is a bit of a rough mix but as a designated key worker here in the UK (not in our fantastic NHS, I hasten to add), life's been a bit busy of late and will doubtlessly be so for a while to come. However I am not complaining, as there are many in a much worse situation than me - I'm glad to be working at all right now.

I do hope you're all keeping safe and well. This is my latest effort - another stock EzKeys track that I simply love so I haven't done much to it, only some very subtle changes - I will probably add a bass track but it doesn't need a lot more instrumentation wise I don' think. There are multiple timing issues on this - I think mainly down to the acoustic guitar track that I need to re-cut and the BGVs; I'm not sure about the long instrumental either and whether it's even in the right place or needed at all - so all critique welcome.

As for the back story on this one - it's complicated...

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your lyrics are a creative take on a common theme.  Timing issues aren't that bad.  I think you might want to switch up the verses a little, a little break here and there would  help.  sorry for trying to change you. :D:D

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great vocal on this! I'm sure the art of mixery will flatten out the wrinkles in time, but it starts with cool lyrics and a pleasant voice to listen to, and this has both . . . I'm sorry you are essential! Stay safe!!!

cheers,

-Tom

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool song - I really enjoyed the lyrics and your lead vocal. Regarding the mix, if it were me, I would turn up the drums.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I echo the sentiments above regarding the "creative" side of the tune.
As to the mix, a few thoughts.
The kick: it seems to dominate the track on the Bose cans here, especially in the quiet sections.
AC Gtr: the 58 on this, where's the mic pointed? If you re-cut this, point the mic at the 12th fret;
and I'd put a high pass on it, pretty high maybe. Its kind of "lost" to my ears, needs some top end.
Solo: I think you could shorten that up a bit.
just remember, I'm a 3 minute single kinda guy, so take that with a grain of salt...

t

and thank you for your service!

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Your lyrics are a creative take on a common theme.  Timing issues aren't that bad.  I think you might want to switch up the verses a little, a little break here and there would  help.  sorry for trying to change you. :D:D

Cheers David, you're right - it's a well-trodden theme for sure. I guess this is just my take, thanks for the listen and the suggestions re structure.

12 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Great vocal on this! I'm sure the art of mixery will flatten out the wrinkles in time, but it starts with cool lyrics and a pleasant voice to listen to, and this has both . . . I'm sorry you are essential! Stay safe!!!

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom, no worries on being essential - better to be needed, than not - right? Appreciate the listen and the critique.

6 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

Cool song - I really enjoyed the lyrics and your lead vocal. Regarding the mix, if it were me, I would turn up the drums.

Ha, that's funny Douglas, cos I actually dialled down the drums before I did this mix - just shows - you never can tell how it's going to sound. Thanks for listening.

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I echo the sentiments above regarding the "creative" side of the tune.
As to the mix, a few thoughts.
The kick: it seems to dominate the track on the Bose cans here, especially in the quiet sections.
AC Gtr: the 58 on this, where's the mic pointed? If you re-cut this, point the mic at the 12th fret;
and I'd put a high pass on it, pretty high maybe. Its kind of "lost" to my ears, needs some top end.
Solo: I think you could shorten that up a bit.
just remember, I'm a 3 minute single kinda guy, so take that with a grain of salt...

t

and thank you for your service!

I'll have another listen to that kick part, swapping it for a different bass drum or beater might help, No mic on this guitar - it's a Taylor 314 DI'd via the Taylor ES2 on-board system with a touch of FX - high-pass is a good shout, I'll look at this. Agree on the instrumental - definitely one bar too long.

Appreciate the comments - really helpful stuff.

Andy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Taylor ES2 on-board system

Well no fan here of the ES1, it failed! on my Brazilian 814; but I have a few direct to board recordings
that have "plenty" of top end. ES2 has some eq control: right? Don't go overboard, but I'd want a little
more "presence", if you get my meaning. I'd have to check the specs (hey that rhymes, oh boy 😉 on the
Taylor 314-ce (x class), but should be plenty of "tone" there; its a Taylor!

t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your voice is the star of this song which makes the lyrics very compelling.  I think a simple arrangement is great for this, and the mix is very close.  This sounds about 90% done, so don't overthink this.  Stay safe!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...