How to backup plugin/category associations ?

Gabriel

Question

Hello,

I just spent some time to put the expected category on all of my plugins, to find them easier when required.

Some time ago, I did it already, but all my actions where lost on a BandLab Cakewalk update.

To prevent this to append again, does anyone know how I can make a backup of my plugin/category associations ?

3 answers to this question

OK it was not so hard...

In the plugin manager, on the top-right of the window, we've got a function to backup and restore those categories disposition.

The backup makes a .pgl file, wich is a text file with xml text inside.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

OK it was not so hard...

In the plugin manager, on the top-right of the window, we've got a function to backup and restore those categories disposition.

The backup makes a .pgl file, wich is a text file with xml text inside.

Beat me to it. 😉

You can click the Save button and save the layout to any destination folder. I save mine to OneDrive.

Edited by Chappel

I was writing a reply to the OP while the second message was posting.

Plug-in layouts are different than plug-in categories.

• Plug-in layouts used to display plug-ins for use in a project.
  • Category tags are a VST3 feature. CbB has the ability to associate category tags with any plug-in DX, VST2 and VST3. These tags are used to create the "Sort by Category" layout.

It is hard to imagine an update resulting in lost plug-in layouts. AFAIK no update has ever messed with the plug-in layout folder or its content. That said backing up user data is a good idea.

The path to the plug-ins layouts folder is maintained in preferences.

I have never read of plug-in categories being lost either. IIRC, there have been a couple of threads on the old forum regarding errors trying to load the database. The fix usually involved initializing the database which loses any user mods to the database.

The category database Library.db is stored in %appdata%\Cakewalk\Library