MikeyT

[Bug] Memory not freeing up on closing projects

Scook,

Thanks for responding.  Yes, Always Stream Audio Through FX has always been enabled or checked in Preferences as long as I have been using CbB.  Currently I'm using version 2020.1; I'm not certain whether or not this problem ever occurred in any of the 2019 versions.

Could it be plug-in specific? The problem of some effects plug-ins buffers not flushing is not new. It goes back decades.

Not sure this is the same as the OP. Their problem may be driver related. Another reason SONAR and Cakewalk hang during shutdown is plug-in related though. Some plug-ins get stuck in memory. This is most often caused by 32bit plug-ins loaded in BitBridge but not always.

Scook,

"Could it be plug-in specific? The problem of some effects plug-ins buffers not flushing is not new. It goes back decades."

Possibly.  I'm pretty certain that the last two times I encountered this problem it occurred in an instrument track where I was using Omnisphere and controlling volume and pan with automation.  I haven't been working with any plug-in effects recently, but in the projects I've been working on over the past couple of months I've been using Omni quite a bit, also tracks with Absynth 5 and, occasionally, Massive, Z3ta+ and FM8.   I'll keep track of this in the future.

In Preferences, Bit Bridge Server Configuration is set to Automatic (the default).  I don't know if this would have any bearing, but as you probably know, in v. 2020.1 CbB changed the Playback and Recording Prepare buffer size.  In my case it reduced it from 600 msec. down to 200 msec.

I appreciate all the assistance and information.

Unless you use 32bit plug-ins BitBridge does not matter at all.

I doubt the MIDI prepare buffer is the issue.

Usually this is an audio buffer not getting flushed until the transport starts up again. It is normally buffered effects like delays and reverbs. Of course, many synths have those effects built-in.

On 6/11/2020 at 4:37 PM, scook said:

Is Always Stream Audio Through FX enabled? This should help flush plug-in buffers when the transport is stopped.

Dear Scook - many thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I've got that option ticked, so regrettably that is not the root of the problem.
I'm now fairly sure the problem is the Zoom R24 and its old divers. I've had no response from Zoom regarding updating their drivers, which is annoying, particularly as they continue to sell the device and the drivers are 6 years old. It is a great bit of kit and mine has worked reliably as an audio-interface for the best part of ten years now, not to mention a portable easy recorder for scratch recordings of full band setups. But Windows, Cakewalk, and hardware has all moved on and it is impossible to say where the fault lies.

I have a work-around and am living with it. Eventually, I will need to buy a new audio-interface.

It is the case that Cakewalk by Bandlab is a) completely free to use and b) does seem to be more functionally rich than every other DAW I have been trying recently (and that includes all the big name's demo software). So, I'm not going to complain here: it's fantastic what Bandlab are making available here and big thanks to them for that - I have a work around and I can continue to make my amateur-level hobby music to my heart's content.