When I select ASIO I get problems

John Aldam

Question

I am having big problems (on three different PCs) if I select ASIO as Driver Mode

What settings do I have to set to allow me to use ASIO?

DETAILS

I suffered Audio Dropouts with Edit Preferences Audio  - Playback and Recording - Driver Mode

set to WASAPI Shared, when playing back one or more audio tracks and recording an additional audio track.

In Console View the Sends box offers the expected Speakers to select from

BY CONTRAST

To try to avoid dropouts, I set Driver Mode to ASIO instead, but when I try to re-open Cakewalk it warns me that

“There are no audio devices for the current driver model [ie ASIO] on your system.

Please go to Edit Preferences Audio Playback and Recording and choose a different driver model”

And with ASIO selected, Console View shows a Sends box but this lists no Speakers

With ASIO selected I also get the warning: Silent Buses Detected

The following tracks and buses are currently assigned to a silent hardware output

The items listed below will be silent until their outputs are reassigned to an appropriate hardware output

How can I use ASIO successfully?

1 answer to this question

Depends on the ASIO driver. For example, one should avoid the RealTek ASIO driver, It has been the source of several problem reports.

If using an audio interface with manufacturer supplied ASIO driver, it may help to provide the make and model of the interface.

If using the PC internal sound chip, try WASAPI Exclusive (if running Win10), WDM or MME in that order. Or try ASIO4All while not a true ASIO driver (it is a wrapper for the WBD driver) it is worth checking out.