"Background Roar"

Barry Seymour

I've been a musician for almost 50 years. I took a few decades off (!) but now I'm getting back into it, and I'm working hard to learn Cakewalk.

I'm seeking feedback on my second recording, mainly from a Cakewalk perspective. I feel I'm doing pretty good, but I am not quite getting the professional-sounding results I'd like.

Let me know what you think; I'd appreciate any constructive criticism.

Background Roar

Thanks!

Barry

Edited by Barry Seymour
  • Like 2

Barry

Welcome to the forum!

Well, maybe not constructive criticism here, just a comment.
The mix and all sounds good to me but I'm no sound engineer.  Just wanted to say that the story and your lyrics are absolutely top notch. And your voice has that rugged quality to it that's perfect for the song.

I know what you mean by background noise. What I hear is the distant freeway plus tinnitus, but I pretend it's the soothing sound of a river. 😃

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barry Seymour said:

I was a musician for a long time

I think you mean "I've been a musician a long time, took some time off"....
I feel some Springsteen influence and a bit of Detroit's poet laureate Bob Segar.
And I mean that in the most respectful way!
Great storytelling, fine performances, the engineering and mixing are a craft that
only "practice" will improve. Do it, do it some more; lather, rinse, repeat over and  over...

Well done my brother!

👍👍

t

that load of thumbs, from the national stockpile, showed up this morning 😉

oh,

29 minutes ago, bjornpdx said:

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, in spades

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bjornpdx said:

The mix and all sounds good to me but I'm no sound engineer.  Just wanted to say that the story and your lyrics are absolutely top notch. And your voice has that rugged quality to it that's perfect for the song.

I know what you mean by background noise. What I hear is the distant freeway plus tinnitus, but I pretend it's the soothing sound of a river

Thanks for that. It actually refers to Lake Superior, but the same thing is true for me. LA Traffic (at least before Coronavirus...)

Edited by Barry Seymour

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. Wording on my original post was fixed. (Wording is important!)

I'm mainly seeking help in mixing vocals. I'm trying to get them to end up feeling like they're more a part of the mix rather than sticking out like a sore thumb riding on top of everything else. I have another tune I'll be posting here too -- same problem, IMHO.

44 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

I think you mean "I've been a musician a long time, took some time off"....
I feel some Springsteen influence and a bit of Detroit's poet laureate Bob Segar.
And I mean that in the most respectful way!
Great storytelling, fine performances, the engineering and mixing are a craft that
only "practice" will improve. Do it, do it some more; lather, rinse, repeat over and  over...

Well done my brother!

👍👍

Very kind, thanks. It must be a Michigan thing. 🙂

• Like 1

Barry, one thing you've done well - you captured the power in your voice and the strength of your guitar playing.  I might mix your voice a tad drier, to let the lyrics shine, and I would pare the song down at the end (unless you plan on adding additional instruments) and fade out.  No matter, you're on the right track if your writing is this good.  You have a special voice that deserves to be heard.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Lynn said:

Barry, one thing you've done well - you captured the power in your voice and the strength of your guitar playing.  I might mix your voice a tad drier, to let the lyrics shine, and I would pare the song down at the end (unless you plan on adding additional instruments) and fade out.  No matter, you're on the right track if your writing is this good.  You have a special voice that deserves to be heard.

Thank you for the kind words. Yeah, I have two plans for the end; either put some soloing in there  or fade it out sooner. Maybe a combination of both. I do plan to create a separate bus for the wind, so I can fade the master channel out a bit ahead of the wind at the end.

Drier on the voice? That might work. I'm worried the whole thing is just getting too mushy with all the reverb. Mixing all this and making it sound professional and coherent is proving quite a challenge.

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I enjoyed the listen - your vocal reminds me of Waylon Jennings - which is very cool.

I really liked the tone of the lead guitar.

I thought the drum track could have used some fills - just my opinion.

Me too! Working on that. Thanks.