Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hidden Symmetry

Gift of Faith

Recommended Posts

Exquisite!  As for the drums, the part is just right, but the drums sounded like they were in a different space than the rest of the tracks, to me.  Perhaps a bit drier and more up front?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The brush on the hihat or cymbal got a bit repetitive in the first minute, maybe switch up that straight rhythm it is playing just a little bit?

Love the sax and those '90's key pads. I'd vote for the bass up just a teeny bit. Really excellent soft jazz number, pretty fantastic writing.

cheers,

-Tom

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I "feel" the kick a bit more than hear it, and its not the bass masking it. A little beater click I think; this genre, not too much.
Smooth jazz for sure. I'm a guitar player so I listened twice, I was "fine" with the doubled lines, that sexy sax was my focus;
until that little riff at 3:06 and then it was "Where did the guitar come from?"
Beautiful! But, instinctively you are questioning the drums, so take a step back, let it sit a day or two, then fix it and print it!

t

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a cool smooth jazz tune - I thought the drums sounded fine.

I would have liked more lead guitar - there's just a bit of it in there.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a jazz fan at all, but man this was great. Loved the horns man. Wish i could give you some critiquing but this is really not my area. just stumbled upon it  and listened, really nice man.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Lynn said:

Exquisite!  As for the drums, the part is just right, but the drums sounded like they were in a different space than the rest of the tracks, to me.  Perhaps a bit drier and more up front?

Hi Lynn & thanks. I'll check into that. There's not much reverb on the drums but could be the ER's or the EQ.

13 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

The brush on the hihat or cymbal got a bit repetitive in the first minute, maybe switch up that straight rhythm it is playing just a little bit?

Love the sax and those '90's key pads. I'd vote for the bass up just a teeny bit. Really excellent soft jazz number, pretty fantastic writing.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom, I used the drum more of a simple clock so yeah there's not much going on.
Since you bring the point up though I'm going to go back in & do some editing. I'll try adding nuances to the track to help it sound a bit less sterile.
I'll make sure to check the bass as well.

 

12 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I "feel" the kick a bit more than hear it, and its not the bass masking it. A little beater click I think; this genre, not too much.
Smooth jazz for sure. I'm a guitar player so I listened twice, I was "fine" with the doubled lines, that sexy sax was my focus;
until that little riff at 3:06 and then it was "Where did the guitar come from?"
Beautiful! But, instinctively you are questioning the drums, so take a step back, let it sit a day or two, then fix it and print it!

t

Yeah, I wanted the kick felt more than heard, I'll to go back in & swap a few kicks in/out including the beaters. Maybe that will 'trigger' something I'm might be overlooking.
Thanks!

3 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

That's a cool smooth jazz tune - I thought the drums sounded fine.

I would have liked more lead guitar - there's just a bit of it in there.

Thanks Douglas, yeah not much guitar on this track. I wrote & recorded it one afternoon then moved on. Maybe I'll do an alt version one day featuring more guitar!

 

2 hours ago, mcmd said:

Pro all around!

That's very kind of you to say- appreciate it!

23 minutes ago, chuckebaby said:

Not a jazz fan at all, but man this was great. Loved the horns man. Wish i could give you some critiquing but this is really not my area. just stumbled upon it  and listened, really nice man.

Glad you enjoyed the tune. Besides fusion I actually enjoy writing & recording these muzak type tunes. I get that it's not for everyone so thanks Chuck!

--And thanks to all for the comments & feedback left. It helps me approach things at different angles or points out aspects that I may have otherwise missed completely.

Again, be safe...

 

Edited by Hidden Symmetry
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For an easy listening Jazz song, I thought this was great.  It all sounded good to me.  You were concerned about the drums but to me they sounded fine.  The brushes, bass pedal, fills all seemed to fit with the timing.  This is not the type of music where you would want them too much up front (they were not)  but they carried the song along as they should.   BTW, I liked the wee bit of dissonance at the ending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep I liked this one a lot, it flowed well and meandered down the way, didnt want the solo to end

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much of a mixologist, myself, and the production quality of all your stuff is generally a cut above, but FWIW:

I agree with Lynn that the drums sound like they're in a dfferent space, but given the spacious ambience on other instruments, feel they're maybe a bit too dry. The snare, especially could use a little more 'tail'.  I also agree with emeraldsould about the repetitiveness of the hi-hat beat over the first couple minutes, but I think it's maybe more about the lack of space in the pattern. I much prefer the later arrangement when that 8th-note pattern is taken up by a ride at a much lower level, and even more so the sparser pattern starting at around 2:35 when the ride drops out - it suits the slow tempo better.  Maybe start there, and build to the busier pattern.

A beautifully crafted piece otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, freddy j said:

For an easy listening Jazz song, I thought this was great.  It all sounded good to me.  You were concerned about the drums but to me they sounded fine.  The brushes, bass pedal, fills all seemed to fit with the timing.  This is not the type of music where you would want them too much up front (they were not)  but they carried the song along as they should.   BTW, I liked the wee bit of dissonance at the ending.

Thanks freddy & glad you liked that bend into pitch!

 

12 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

Yep I liked this one a lot, it flowed well and meandered down the way, didnt want the solo to end

 

Thanks Paul, appreciate it,

 

3 hours ago, David Baay said:

Not much of a mixologist, myself, and the production quality of all your stuff is generally a cut above, but FWIW:

I agree with Lynn that the drums sound like they're in a dfferent space, but given the spacious ambience on other instruments, feel they're maybe a bit too dry. The snare, especially could use a little more 'tail'.  I also agree with emeraldsould about the repetitiveness of the hi-hat beat over the first couple minutes, but I think it's maybe more about the lack of space in the pattern. I much prefer the later arrangement when that 8th-note pattern is taken up by a ride at a much lower level, and even more so the sparser pattern starting at around 2:35 when the ride drops out - it suits the slow tempo better.  Maybe start there, and build to the busier pattern.

A beautifully crafted piece otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback David, lots of good points. I'm listening to the tune briefly while mastering  other projects in this album & am getting some ideas. Will be keeping these in mind as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a chance to work on it today. Here's a new mix & edited version. All points considered, thanks again to all for the advice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 5:53 PM, DeeringAmps said:

I "feel" the kick a bit more than hear it

I'm feeling and hearing it now!!
Oh that sax is sexy, keep that man away form my wife!

t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...