Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
micv

Clip Pan, does it work?

Recommended Posts

although I can use Track's pan fine, I noticed that clip pan simply doesn't pan at all.  Does the track pan has anything to do with it?  I would think that clip pan would override the track pan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clip pan is working here. Possibly you have a mono FX in the chain somewhere or mono interleave on the track? Clip panning does not override track or bus panning. It's just a starting point for the strength of the signal on each side of the track input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Baay said:

Clip pan is working here. Possibly you have a mono FX in the chain somewhere or mono interleave on the track? Clip panning does not override track or bus panning. It's just a starting point for the strength of the signal on each side of the track input.

Good point on a mono FX.  I'll check next time I'm in the studio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, micv said:

Good point on a mono FX.  I'll check next time I'm in the studio.

but wait, why wouldn't it work on a mono interleave track?  You can pan a mono track why not a mono clip of a mono track?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Clip pan will not override track pan in a mono track. And if there is a mono effect in the FX bin that will also override the clip pan.

 

Any clip modifier (pan, gain, FX etc.) applies before the channel strip for the track. 

Edited by Base 57
added second line

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, micv said:

but wait, why wouldn't it work on a mono interleave track?  You can pan a mono track why not a mono clip of a mono track?

I could be wrong about that. I was thinking this would force the track input to mono so panning at the clip level would have no effect. Track panning happens after interleave, so it wouldn't be affected in any case, but I'm not sure about clip panning. 

EDIT: Just did a quick test; mono interleave does prevent clip planning as I suspected. The signal level is higher at center because it's just a simple balance control (pan law not applied), but both channels have the same level regardless of how the clip is panned.

Edited by David Baay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...