Jump to content
synkrotron

Why is Cakewalk by Bandlab free?

Recommended Posts

Also slightly frustrating for SONAR users was when looking into various pieces of hardware or software SONAR was rarely ever on the list of tested/trusted DAWs.

Roland used to package a "lite" version of SONAR with their interfaces, presumably because they owned it at the time. They now give away licenses for Live lite.

So I have always felt like I've been using the "poor man's" digital audio workstation, although I have to add then  I have NEVER felt the it was in reality, if you know what I mean. If a discussion came up about, "which DAW do you use" on non-DAW forums, I'd be the odd one out using SONAR.

Never put me off though...

 

 

Page 11

I feel another video coming on.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of my friends who are audio pros used Pro Tools, but they also complained bitterly about the need for, and cost of, upgrades. Others used Logic, but that required a Mac. That left Nuendo, Sonar, Digital Performer, and probably a couple of others that don't spring to mind.

Bandlab is free largely because many of us paid $500 for Sonar (or whatever, I got the PE versions), allowing the developers to make it happen. Then Reaper came along and mostly eliminated  the monetary value of Sonar, etc. and here we are.

I don't regret paying the $500 for a minute. Money well spent.

Edited by jonathan boose
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jonathan boose said:

Bandlab is free largely because many of us paid $500 for Sonar (or whatever, I got the PE versions), allowing the developers to make it happen.

Hi Jonathan :)

I'm not sure how that works to be honest. I mean, the money that we all spent in SONAR, Platinum, lifetime and all that would have gone straight into the Cakewalk owners (Roland or Gibson, I'm not sure who was the owner at that time) pot and paid for wages/bonuses for staff at that time. There is no way that BandLab would have benefited from any of that money.

And when BandLab got the code from Gibson, did they get it free?

 

cheers

andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Hi Jonathan :)

I'm not sure how that works to be honest. I mean, the money that we all spent in SONAR, Platinum, lifetime and all that would have gone straight into the Cakewalk owners (Roland or Gibson, I'm not sure who was the owner at that time) pot and paid for wages/bonuses for staff at that time. There is no way that BandLab would have benefited from any of that money.

And when BandLab got the code from Gibson, did they get it free?

 

cheers

andy

Pretty sure that he means there would have been no sonar without people paying for it for decades. And no Sonar would mean no Cakewalk by bandlab. 

Daw history is pretty interesting. Old ableton guys peeled off and formed bitwig, studio one was modelled heavily off cubase/nuendo. lots of people said reaper would one day be the de facto standard. but the actual situation for professionals as far as I can see is exactly the same as when I got interested in daws about 15 years ago. 90% pro tools with a few cubase and DP users. Must have something to do with tight hardware integration I'm beginning to feel

Edited by backwoods

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, backwoods said:

Pretty sure that he means there would have been no sonar without people paying for it for decades. And no Sonar would mean no Cakewalk by bandlab. 

Ah,okay, well that is certainly one way of looking at it :)

thanks,

andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, synkrotron said:

Ah,okay, well that is certainly one way of looking at it :)

thanks,

andy

You were just trying to get to Page 12, weren't you?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Larry Jones said:

You were just trying to get to Page 12, weren't you?

Ha! No! :D

But some "on topic" posts were made and I wanted to chip in ;)

cheers

andy :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cakewalk by BandLab is standing on the shoulders of giants. Plus those of us who paid into Sonar development for the last 30 years! :D

Edited by abacab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...