Is freewill a hoax?

Jesse Screed

16 hours ago, Tezza said:

Your reference to the highway is flawed, if the road is permanently blocked off then it really doesn't exist anymore to the driver. Your saying free will still exists even if you can't access it, the whole point of free will is to be able to access it, if you can't then you don't have it.

First off, you insist on conflating free will with free action. You can reduce me to being a prisoner and bound in chains, to borrow from Hume again,  so that I can in fact go nowhere but that does nothing to prevent me from wanting - from willing - to leave.

Blocking the road might prevent me from driving on it, but it does not prevent me from wanting to,  nor does it change the fact that I chose that route before. 

You can even tear it up & plant trees there but that doesn't mean the road never existed. 

What I mean is if one doesn't have it, then we all have the potential to be that one, we all can be subject to that event beyond our control, therefore none of us truly have it. That's not black and white thinking, it is an observation based on logical extrapolation

That's the very definition of black & white thinking. 

https://lucidphilosophy.com/black-and-white-fallacy/

By religion, I mean organized religion.

Organized or not doesn't matter.  There are a multitude of religions some of which posit free will, some of which deny it, some where there is debate about it and some which are silent on the matter. 

People may argue for the existence of free will because they are a Christian rather than because they have made an assessment by themselves based on their personal interpretation of the evidence in relation to free will.  Thereby not really exercising their free will to assess the issue of free will.

Gibberish. 

However what surprised me was the egotistical and narcissistic people. They just want a title for their name and power over others. No plan, no hidden agenda, just a title, power over others and recognition for themselves. These people circulate around the political system joining different parties at different times trying to attain power. It's no wonder that our political systems are in such a mess. Are these people really exercising their free will or just acting as agents and emotional automatons, merely responding to external or primitive drives. Some of them are not even aware they are doing that.

If people are not even aware of why they make the decisions they do, how can they have free will.

Non sequitur.

People do things all the time without being consciously aware of their motivations.

An argument over free will can go on forever,

It certainly has for thousands of years and it is way deeper than most realize.  We haven't but barely scratched the surface. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 2:37 PM, craigb said:

To one of the replies up there... a big "NOPE!"

(And... it's not for me to enlighten any more methinks.  Go spend months and years diving down rabbit holes that are mostly being hidden on purpose.  Almost everything you learned is probably wrong - but, you know what?  I actually don't care because I've now gone beyond it and feel very comfortable with my reality.)

Ancient Aliens!