Freeze/Unfreeze

randallmiller

Question

Greetings.  Long-time Sonar user here... started with Home Studio years ago, and after several upgrades, have been using Platinum.   Although I just installed CbB, this question  started with the last Platinum update.  Question:  When I used to Freeze a track, the ProChannel indicator light stayed lit & the meters of the various modules still moved.  Now I Freeze a track and the ProChannel indicator light goes off and none of the meters operate.  It looks like ProChannel is not engaged.   Am I doing something wrong?  

Edited by randallmiller

8 answers to this question

It seems to make sense that the Pro Channel is turned off when freezing a track.  You froze the track with the PC settings, and if the PC stayed active, you would be doubling all the components that you froze your track with.  That wouldn't be such a good idea if you're using EQ or any other s/x.  You still have the option of reactivating any component of PC if you need to.  Your effects bin is also disabled, as I recall, but it can be reactivated too.

Thanks for your reply, Lynn.  The Freeze/Unfreeze function has me confused.  The documention says:  "Freeze Track.   Bounces the audio in the track to a new audio clip or clips, applies any effects, and disables the FX Rack."   But then in the Freeze Options menu you can choose to not include Track FX.   So what's the point of it?   Regarding ProChannel, since it's separate from the FX Rack, I assumed Freeze didn't affect it.   Apparently, that's not correct?

6 minutes ago, randallmiller said:

Thanks for your reply, Lynn.  The Freeze/Unfreeze function has me confused.  The documention says:  "Freeze Track.   Bounces the audio in the track to a new audio clip or clips, applies any effects, and disables the FX Rack."   But then in the Freeze Options menu you can choose to not include Track FX.   So what's the point of it?   Regarding ProChannel, since it's separate from the FX Rack, I assumed Freeze didn't affect it.   Apparently, that's not correct?

I quite often choose to not include Track FX when freezing tracks that are using soft synths. This free's up the processing associated with the soft synth, but still allows me to use Track FX when mixing... so of course in this case, the FX rack will not be disabled.

If however, the track FX are part of the "sound" (e.g. GuitarRig on a guitar part), I'll choose to freeze with Track FX.

16 minutes ago, randallmiller said:

Thanks, msmcleod.  When you freeze with Track FX (as in your GuitarRig on a guitar example), does that mean you've already made your settings in ProChannel and then Freeze?  Or do you Freeze the track with Track FX and then apply ProChannel settings?

What I tend to do is switch the ProChannel off before freezing, this means that it's not included in the freeze. I can then switch it back on to mix the frozen audio.

Edited by msmcleod
  • Great Idea 1