Several versions of the same VST

Hi,

I am using several versions of Ni Kontakt, because several older libraries do not work in some newer versions.

So I installed Kontakt in different folders. But when I scan the plugin-folders in Cakewalk it only shows the latest

Kontakt, but not the older ones. Any idea?

Thanks in advance!

The VST scanner only scans the folders you give it. You will need to go to the plugin scanner under edit>preferences>VST and designate the folder location on the scan list. If you are scanning a 32 bit plugin there might be issues due to recent changes in Cakewalk regarding 32 bit plugins.

Not sure about Kontakt. Maybe others can comment on this...some plugins don't like to be moved around because  plugin location was designated when it was installed and is tied to the registration. Moving things around with some install schemes moves around the registration. When the portal tries to update it's blind to the plug in (because it was moved).

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2020 at 5:44 PM, Starise said:

The VST scanner only scans the folders you give it. You will need to go to the plugin scanner under edit>preferences>VST and designate the folder location on the scan list. If you are scanning a 32 bit plugin there might be issues due to recent changes in Cakewalk regarding 32 bit plugins.

Not sure about Kontakt. Maybe others can comment on this...some plugins don't like to be moved around because  plugin location was designated when it was installed and is tied to the registration. Moving things around with some install schemes moves around the registration. When the portal tries to update it's blind to the plug in (because it was moved).

Thanks a lot, but this was not my question.

Well.............plug in scanning and moving plugins around can cause issues such as not seeing a plug in if the manufacturer designated an installation path tied to the arrangement of folders. I have had this happen with Addictive Drums and a few others. Every time Windows updated I would need to re register the product.

On 3/2/2020 at 6:59 AM, moonbooter said:

So I installed Kontakt in different folders.

Did you do clean installs?  Many of the same plugins are often installed in different variations. VST2 and VST 3 folders are often separated. Without bitbridge or similar Cakewalk won't pick up 32 bit plugins. Not sure specifically about Kontakt and how it's set up because I never messed with their folder configurations. I have both K5 and K 6 on my system. I can see both but they are in different locations. 

I think the main issue with Cakewalk is there are so many options to selct in the plug in scanner. You may select not to scan VST 2 . I suspect this might be your issue. Another potential problem is if a plug in was "sandboxed" you might need to rescan it.

• 2 years later...

It is up to the plug-in manufacturer.

Some plug-in manufacturers intentionally design their plug-ins to be drop-in replacements for previous versions. This results the most recent plug-in to be added to the DAW plug-in list and older versions are ignored.

Others design their plug-ins to be unique and not replace previous versions. In this case, unique versions are available for use in the DAW.

Often manufacturers use a mixed approach allowing them to tailor the behavior based on the release.