Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pete Laramee

I Don't Usually Post Covers But...

Recommended Posts

I took a break from my current project to record something I've wanted to for a while. I don't think I've ever posted a cover song before, but here's one...

Updated Clip 2/25 https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=13998654

 

Guitars - RG7620 - Fractal AX8
Bass - Midi - Roland JV1010
Keys - Midi - Dimension Pro (Cakewalk)
Drums - Session Drummer 3 (Cakewalk)

Edited by Pete Laramee
Updated Link
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice chops!

Three suggestions:

  1.  The opening strumming would be better, IMO, as an picked arpeggiated pattern
  2. The first guitar solo sounds just a tad fizzy. You might want to EQ that a little.
  3. The mix needs more bottom!!

These are just my suggestions. Love the track overall!

Dan

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dcumpian said:

Nice chops

I heartily agree. It’s all about “touch”. Listen to Dan, as always, he’s spot on. 

Liking under your (my) skin as well. I closed that window before posting.

t

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great track highlighting your excellent guitar abilities.. The beginning had me wondering if the song was going to ramp up. I didn't need to wait long.

I wish I could claim Dan's idea about the beginning. I wholeheartedly agree that something else needed to happen in the beginning to add interest. I didn't think about arpeggios, but love Dan's idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't heard that song in a while and I thank you for posting your version. I liked the strumming bit at the beginning. Seemed to flow into the solo (excellent!) nicely. Could use some more bottom as suggested above. Very nice job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very skillful playing for sure and you've made this song your own in many ways.  My only nit is the kick drum at the second time through.  It's a bit heavy and distracting, but everything improves and comes together when it start to move at the bridge.

There are several song I'd like to "cover" but I fear copyright infringement issues, especially with everybody being so "sue happy" these days.  If you've got the guts to "brave it out", more power to ya.

😀JB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a cool instrumental of a great song - I liked the guitar tones in this.  Nice job.

Wow - as the song goes along, especially when the drums kick in, there's some excellent guitar playing - very nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnbee58 said:

There are several song I'd like to "cover" but I fear copyright infringement issues

Go to Harry Fox, pay the license fee. $17, done it for all non-originals I’ve posted. 

t

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Go to Harry Fox, pay the license fee. $17, done it for all non-originals I’ve posted. 

t

So, that's how it's done now.  OK.  I stand corrected.  Go for it!

😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 8:43 AM, dcumpian said:

Nice chops!

Three suggestions:

  1.  The opening strumming would be better, IMO, as an picked arpeggiated pattern
  2. The first guitar solo sounds just a tad fizzy. You might want to EQ that a little.
  3. The mix needs more bottom!!

These are just my suggestions. Love the track overall!

Dan

 

Thanks for listening.  I decided against arpeggios at the beginning because it reminded me too much of "What a Wonderful World."  I agree it needs more bass (I'm going to actually play the bass instead of keeping the midi bass).  I'm also going to mix in different drum tones with the current ones.  And yes, I'm always screwing around with lead EQs. LOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I heartily agree. It’s all about “touch”. Listen to Dan, as always, he’s spot on. 

Liking under your (my) skin as well. I closed that window before posting.

t

Thanks man.  Under Your Skin also needs more bass. LOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

Very skillful playing for sure and you've made this song your own in many ways.  My only nit is the kick drum at the second time through.  It's a bit heavy and distracting, but everything improves and comes together when it start to move at the bridge.

There are several song I'd like to "cover" but I fear copyright infringement issues, especially with everybody being so "sue happy" these days.  If you've got the guts to "brave it out", more power to ya.

😀JB

Thanks.  Yea that kick has been bothering me too.  Haven't decided what I'll do yet though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

That's a cool instrumental of a great song - I liked the guitar tones in this.  Nice job.

Wow - as the song goes along, especially when the drums kick in, there's some excellent guitar playing - very nice.

Thank you very much.  I was going for a cross between a newer Vinnie Moore phrasing mixed with a Brian May thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...