Jump to content
lmu2002

Cakewalk doesn't keep recording

Recommended Posts

When I record audio, Cakewalk draws the waveform ok but when stopped the take disappears. I just had to record three times until the recording stays. And it's titled 'Record 1' as if it was the first take. What' going on here? It's a clean track with no previous takes etc. This seems to occur mostly when  recording right after opening Cakewalk.

-  latest asio driver in use, recording 44.1/24 as usual

- 'sound on sound' option picked, also 'reuse existing lane'

-  I made no changes in Cwbl or Win10 lately

I have no possibility to try another interface but so far my Spl has been rock solid.

 

I also reported a weird start screen behaviour in an earlier topic. I never had  much issues with Cakewalk. But I just had a couple of months break from recording anything. A frustrating restart I must say!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No punch points in use. Clean track with just a guitar amp on it. I will experience further with different options and see if there  appears any predictability to this issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same behavior from time to time, but have not been able to find out what's the reason and couldn't reproduce it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe not related but I noticed that my start screen cursor  relaxes when I open a project, close it and then go back to start screen. But I noticed another odd cursor behaviour which happens in asio panel when opened during the start screen: when changing the buffer and latency settings and then 'apply', the cursor starts spinning the wheel and only stops once a project is opened.

I will now keep reopening a project  before any actual recording, just to see if the recording issue is connected to the cursor one. It looks like it's loading/busy which can't be right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lmu2002 said:

When I record audio, Cakewalk draws the waveform ok but when stopped the take disappears. I just had to record three times until the recording stays. And it's titled 'Record 1' as if it was the first take. What' going on here? It's a clean track with no previous takes etc. This seems to occur mostly when  recording right after opening Cakewalk.

-  latest asio driver in use, recording 44.1/24 as usual

- 'sound on sound' option picked, also 'reuse existing lane'

-  I made no changes in Cwbl or Win10 lately

I have no possibility to try another interface but so far my Spl has been rock solid.

 

I also reported a weird start screen behaviour in an earlier topic. I never had  much issues with Cakewalk. But I just had a couple of months break from recording anything. A frustrating restart I must say!

 

 

 

Even though the waveform is blank, does it actually play back the audio?

If the audio plays back ok, it may be that your picture folder is full.

It's pretty safe to delete the files in the picture folder, as they'll be re-created when you next open a project.

Here's a thread on the old forum that goes into more detail: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Picture-Cache-HUGE-m2217459.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 200Mb of files in the pictures folder, so nothing strange there. It's set at 500Mb max.

When the disappearing take issue happens next time I will check if the audio is there. That would be a mess though, ghost takes without images 😲

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, lmu2002 said:

I have 200Mb of files in the pictures folder, so nothing strange there. It's set at 500Mb max.

When the disappearing take issue happens next time I will check if the audio is there. That would be a mess though, ghost takes without images 😲

Doesn't "Re-compute pictures" or "Re-draw waveforms" (or what's the name of the function nowadays) do the trick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kalle Rantaaho said:

Doesn't "Re-compute pictures" or "Re-draw waveforms" (or what's the name of the function nowadays) do the trick?

Thanks! I will add this to the to-do list when this happens again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now I had the issue appearing again. I recorded a single audio take but no picture of the take and no sound either. I checked the audio folder and there's four (!) wav files with the same time stamp and name. One of them contains the actual recording (2Mb) but the other three are silent, two of which are 4Kb and one 1.5Mb. I recorded another take 15mins earlier with no issues or weirdness.

Saving and re-opening the project doesn't change the situation, the clip doesn't show up. When there's no clip I can't use the 'recompute pictures' command. When reopening the project another 3 copies (4Kb each) appear in the folder. And then disappear when the project is closed again.

Has Corona finally reached my DAW?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked closer at my audio folder. There's more than just a few of these odd 4Kb wav files. Starting in new year. Until then the wav files look normal. Those 4Kb ones don't have a track name specification like all other files, just the name of the project and rec (and a five digit number). And they don't contain any audio.

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had very similar problem - very intermittently, and can't detect any pattern. I don't have Take Lanes open. I've generally aborted the take, and there are no surviving audio files

Cakewalk 2020.01  Upgrading Windows 10 to 1909 doesn't seem to have made any difference

(using Allen & Heath Qu24  and MOTU 828 ASIO drivers)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've looked at the Windows event log around the time one of these failures, and it shows a couple of Application errors for Cakewalk

 

Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 26.1.0.28, time stamp: 0x5e445e0d
Faulting module name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 26.1.0.28, time stamp: 0x5e445e0d
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00000000003da222
Faulting process ID: 0x1080
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5fd2264848869
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Report ID: 9b61c3d8-35a9-4ae7-a490-a7bf851c2d4a
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Fault log.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...