Cakewalk doesn't keep recording

lmu2002

When I record audio, Cakewalk draws the waveform ok but when stopped the take disappears. I just had to record three times until the recording stays. And it's titled 'Record 1' as if it was the first take. What' going on here? It's a clean track with no previous takes etc. This seems to occur mostly when  recording right after opening Cakewalk.

-  latest asio driver in use, recording 44.1/24 as usual

- 'sound on sound' option picked, also 'reuse existing lane'

-  I made no changes in Cwbl or Win10 lately

I have no possibility to try another interface but so far my Spl has been rock solid.

I also reported a weird start screen behaviour in an earlier topic. I never had  much issues with Cakewalk. But I just had a couple of months break from recording anything. A frustrating restart I must say!

Maybe not related but I noticed that my start screen cursor  relaxes when I open a project, close it and then go back to start screen. But I noticed another odd cursor behaviour which happens in asio panel when opened during the start screen: when changing the buffer and latency settings and then 'apply', the cursor starts spinning the wheel and only stops once a project is opened.

I will now keep reopening a project  before any actual recording, just to see if the recording issue is connected to the cursor one. It looks like it's loading/busy which can't be right.

16 hours ago, lmu2002 said:

When I record audio, Cakewalk draws the waveform ok but when stopped the take disappears. I just had to record three times until the recording stays. And it's titled 'Record 1' as if it was the first take. What' going on here? It's a clean track with no previous takes etc. This seems to occur mostly when  recording right after opening Cakewalk.

-  latest asio driver in use, recording 44.1/24 as usual

- 'sound on sound' option picked, also 'reuse existing lane'

-  I made no changes in Cwbl or Win10 lately

I have no possibility to try another interface but so far my Spl has been rock solid.

I also reported a weird start screen behaviour in an earlier topic. I never had  much issues with Cakewalk. But I just had a couple of months break from recording anything. A frustrating restart I must say!

Even though the waveform is blank, does it actually play back the audio?

If the audio plays back ok, it may be that your picture folder is full.

It's pretty safe to delete the files in the picture folder, as they'll be re-created when you next open a project.

Here's a thread on the old forum that goes into more detail: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Picture-Cache-HUGE-m2217459.aspx

• Like 1

I have 200Mb of files in the pictures folder, so nothing strange there. It's set at 500Mb max.

When the disappearing take issue happens next time I will check if the audio is there. That would be a mess though, ghost takes without images 😲

21 hours ago, lmu2002 said:

I have 200Mb of files in the pictures folder, so nothing strange there. It's set at 500Mb max.

When the disappearing take issue happens next time I will check if the audio is there. That would be a mess though, ghost takes without images 😲

Doesn't "Re-compute pictures" or "Re-draw waveforms" (or what's the name of the function nowadays) do the trick?

• 3 weeks later...

Now I had the issue appearing again. I recorded a single audio take but no picture of the take and no sound either. I checked the audio folder and there's four (!) wav files with the same time stamp and name. One of them contains the actual recording (2Mb) but the other three are silent, two of which are 4Kb and one 1.5Mb. I recorded another take 15mins earlier with no issues or weirdness.

Saving and re-opening the project doesn't change the situation, the clip doesn't show up. When there's no clip I can't use the 'recompute pictures' command. When reopening the project another 3 copies (4Kb each) appear in the folder. And then disappear when the project is closed again.

Has Corona finally reached my DAW?

I looked closer at my audio folder. There's more than just a few of these odd 4Kb wav files. Starting in new year. Until then the wav files look normal. Those 4Kb ones don't have a track name specification like all other files, just the name of the project and rec (and a five digit number). And they don't contain any audio.

Any thoughts?

I've had very similar problem - very intermittently, and can't detect any pattern. I don't have Take Lanes open. I've generally aborted the take, and there are no surviving audio files

Cakewalk 2020.01  Upgrading Windows 10 to 1909 doesn't seem to have made any difference

(using Allen & Heath Qu24  and MOTU 828 ASIO drivers)

I've looked at the Windows event log around the time one of these failures, and it shows a couple of Application errors for Cakewalk

Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 26.1.0.28, time stamp: 0x5e445e0d
Faulting module name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 26.1.0.28, time stamp: 0x5e445e0d
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x00000000003da222
Faulting process ID: 0x1080
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5fd2264848869
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Report ID: 9b61c3d8-35a9-4ae7-a490-a7bf851c2d4a
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Fault log.PNG

• 1 year later...

It could be something like a virus checker trying to access the WAV file while Cakewalk is trying to finalise the file after recording has stopped.

Have you checked that all of your Cakewalk project & audio folders are excluded from virus checkers, OneDrive and any other cloud-sync apps?

Unfortunately the problem has been occurring occasionally with all versions up to 2021-01 (we've not moved to 2021-04 yet), and it has persisted through at least 18 months of PC hardware and software changes, different  audio interfaces, removing 3rd party plug-ins, and many other attempted changes to system settings, latency adjustment etc.  as suggested by the Cakewalk folks.

(It may or may not be associated with a similar long- reported problem: recording sometimes starts during the count-in phase, throwing the new clip of of sync.)

• 2 months later...

I've experienced this issue quite a bit over several years and finally came back to do some research on it again.  Glad to see I'm not the only one experiencing these weird ghost takes.  I've also gone through many updates over the years hoping it will be resolved, but I just had a couple recording sessions ruined this past week due to it, as it was happening I'd say 80% of the time I tried to record.  If I'm looking at it during recording, I usually notice a screen blip of sorts and the recording timer line ends up visually ahead of the waveform.  When I stop recording, I only have about 1 or so measure of the take and as mentioned above, no feasible way of retrieving the data.

I will say, I've never experienced it on my desktops, but I use those mostly for MIDI and sample library recording.  It's on my laptop where I record audio that it's very prevalent.  For reference, it's an HP Spectre x360 with a 6 core Core i7 8th gen, 16 GB ram, 512GB SSD, and a Radeon Vega (for what that's worth).  I also use an Akai EIE Pro interface, which I've been using for years.

Does anyone know of any tricks for fixing this, or does anyone from BandLab know if there's going to be a bug fix for it in the near future?  I've really enjoyed using Cakewalk since the day I started producing, but this has become a deal-breaker issue that I can't waste any more time or recording sessions on.  Thank you all in advance for any advice!