UP TO SKY

noynekker

I was thinking about how so much of my stuff is about the struggle, so wanted to write something more positive.

On a mixing note . . . I'm struggling to find the right level for the Hi Hat on this one. If I bury it in the mix too much, the overall feel doesn't work as well, If I have it too prominent, it takes over everything, doesn't sound natural . . . maybe it should be shaker or tambourine, something softer ? Anyways, give a listen, the comments here are always helpful.

Edited by noynekker
re-upload link
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

The hat certainly is not dominating the track on the Bose cans here, and the groove is solid. Lots of guitars sounding very good. Solid vocal with some really fine background vocals. Love the B3. The tune is “flying”, well done, big thumbs up from me!

t

Thanks DeeringAmps, good to know, that's what I was hoping . . . on my small speakers it sounds OK, in my "car" listen and studio speakers the Hi Hat seems way too much. I'm tempted to put some more room sound on the Hi Hat, but something tells me that's a good way to wreck a mix. Glad you liked the song.

3 hours ago, freddy j said:

Well you were going for positive and indeed, you nailed it.  The song was not only positive but to borrow from Paul above, it was downright inspiring. Great harmonies.

Well done!!

Ok freddy j . . . 2 people "inspired" . . . thanks you so very much, it really helps me to keep doing this.

First I've heard anything from you, so I can't compare to the other songs about struggle.  This song has what you aimed for in it in my opinion. It's a very upbeat tune. Harmonies and change ups musically keep it going, make this a pleasant listen.

I listened with my studio headphones. I tend to hear that high hat a bit much in those. Not sure what a solution would be because I also think it helps to carry the tune along well. From reading others comments it seems to be very subjective. If you're anything like me and something is bothering you about it. I would recommend you do something, because if you don't you'll come back to it and think to yourself that you don't like it. If OTOH you are perfectly content with it, leave it be and don't listen to me :)

It's one very small concern in an otherwise wonderful song.

Very nice, positive and clean mix.
Lead vocal and harmonies sound great.
You have a very nice voice Sir!

The hihat is a little bit upfront but as Starise says it carries the tune along.
Im not really sure what the answer would be..
Maybe a little room verb (wont take much) or maybe take some of the really high end off?

Once again ... well done.
I always state this...  but we all paint very different pictures...  these are just my personal views and what I would have done and in no way is it meant to diminish the work you have done here.

I am listening on  Focal TRIO6 BE

Great job; form, vocals, production all excellent & reminded me a bit of America.

It's funny you mention the HH because that's one thing that I didn't care for. Not that it doesn't work but that it reminds me an older drum machine & doesn't quite fit the acoustic vibe of the tune. It's a bit too rigid for my ears, almost disco-ish.

I try swapping it out with ones with more natural feel, less edge & more tip.  As you say maybe try shakers or perc for that figure.

That's just my ears though but maybe why you're not feeling it either?..

Edited by Hidden Symmetry