Recording midi multiple passes?

Shawn T

Is it possible to record midi in multiple passes on the same midi instrument track?

I am not sure if I am wording it right, but what I am looking to do for example is on a strings track, record the bass part then go back and record the cello part, then viola and violin etc... to this point when I start recording it seems to record over the previous recording. 

Is there a way to do this without having to have a separate midi instrument for each pass?

Thanks all!

7 minutes ago, Shawn T said:

Is it possible to record midi in multiple passes on the same midi instrument track?

I am not sure if I am wording it right, but what I am looking to do for example is on a strings track, record the bass part then go back and record the cello part, then viola and violin etc... to this point when I start recording it seems to record over the previous recording. 

Is there a way to do this without having to have a separate midi instrument for each pass?

Thanks all!

Maybe this explanation of recording modes will help? Also, are you using mono-timbral or multi-timbral soft synths or hardware?

Edited by User 905133

Not quite clear regarding why you would want to record multiple instrument parts (bass, cello, etc.) on the same MIDI track?

Your question implies that you are using a multi-timbral virtual instrument. In that case you could easily assign each part (bass, cello, etc) to it's own MIDI channel and track, which would keep them all completely separated.

In any case, the link to the recording modes above should be useful for recording multiple takes of the same instrument part.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...