Jump to content

How to Record a Song from Beginning to End in Cakewalk (Video Series)


Creative Sauce

Recommended Posts

Hi folks! Would you like to know the full process of recording a song in Cakewalk from scratch, through to release on Spotify, iTunes etc? All from a home studio?
I'm super excited to be announcing a new 15 part series where I demonstrate just that!

WATCH HERE FOR DETAILS: https://youtu.be/Fh36S21Lqg8

I will also post each episode as its released in this thread :)

* Please note that although Cakewalk by Bandlab is the DAW used in this series, some third party plugins are used although these are not necessary to complete this task.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have watched a few of your videos and they are well done. You provide a great service here to those who are new to the software! Good luck.

My only question is, are you doing this from the goodness of your heart? Is there an angle? I hope you're selling something because making these videos is a lot of work which I hope will be appreciated.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Creative Sauce I'll check it out and sub. I'd be really extra interested if you do a tutorial series on making a modern hip hop beat with song, with harmony vocal hook & then show how you mix and master it. Beastie Boys cover? Either way, I'm watching. I'm especially fascinated by learning how to do industry quality mixdowns in this daw, or the closest thereto.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Starise said:

I have watched a few of your videos and they are well done. You provide a great service here to those who are new to the software! Good luck.

My only question is, are you doing this from the goodness of your heart? Is there an angle? I hope you're selling something because making these videos is a lot of work which I hope will be appreciated.

Hi Starise - good question! All of this really started as a bit of fun, and thats my prime driver. I really personally enjoy every part of the process - planning, filming, editing, chatting with others. I'm one of those people who couldn't do work just for money - I need to enjoy. With this particular series, there is no product at the end to buy or hidden agenda. I just saw that there is a real lack of any complete view of the process - and for me personally when I'm learning, I find it helpful to have a rough map of where its going.

I do earn a little revenue from YouTube ads. I really like this, as ultimately the viewer doesn't have to pay.

In my view, whilst there are many old time Cakewalk/Sonar out there, because it is now free, it naturally attracts many noobs. They may have a little fear that because Cakewalk is free, that its inferior, or cant be used for 'real' production. Hopefully this series addresses that fear.

I am considering a paid course for Cakewalk however. But its really just been a thought. Perhaps something quite in depth for new comers, where I go in depth and explain all new terms they may encounter. I was thinking of perhaps six , one hour  episodes, and charge around $30 for the whole course. What do you think?

Many thanks,

 

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Brix Boston said:

@Creative Sauce I'll check it out and sub. I'd be really extra interested if you do a tutorial series on making a modern hip hop beat with song, with harmony vocal hook & then show how you mix and master it. Beastie Boys cover? Either way, I'm watching. I'm especially fascinated by learning how to do industry quality mixdowns in this daw, or the closest thereto.

Thanks Brix. Its not a genre I record much, even though I do listen a lot. Maybe I need to break my own boundaries! Thanks in advance for watching :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Creative Sauce said:

Hi Starise - good question! All of this really started as a bit of fun, and thats my prime driver. I really personally enjoy every part of the process - planning, filming, editing, chatting with others. I'm one of those people who couldn't do work just for money - I need to enjoy. With this particular series, there is no product at the end to buy or hidden agenda. I just saw that there is a real lack of any complete view of the process - and for me personally when I'm learning, I find it helpful to have a rough map of where its going.

I do earn a little revenue from YouTube ads. I really like this, as ultimately the viewer doesn't have to pay.

In my view, whilst there are many old time Cakewalk/Sonar out there, because it is now free, it naturally attracts many noobs. They may have a little fear that because Cakewalk is free, that its inferior, or cant be used for 'real' production. Hopefully this series addresses that fear.

I am considering a paid course for Cakewalk however. But its really just been a thought. Perhaps something quite in depth for new comers, where I go in depth and explain all new terms they may encounter. I was thinking of perhaps six , one hour  episodes, and charge around $30 for the whole course. What do you think?

Many thanks,

 

Mike

Kudos to you for doing something you love to do and helping others at the same time. I only wish I could do that and still eat :) YouTube generally isn't a reliable or a huge source of income for most....so yes, the idea for a course would be very useful to many I'm sure.

People learn in different ways. I hate to admit that I have a tough time watching instructional videos. I'm one of those types that goes out and learns mostly by reading here and there, making mistakes and hard knocks experience. I know I'm not the norm. PLENTY of people would love to have something like that, so I say go for it man! and best of luck!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Creative Sauce changed the title to How to Record a Song from Beginning to End in Cakewalk (Video Series)

Great first episode Mike!  You have some good ideas of things to do when beginning a song project.  I really liked the idea of using tap tempo while listening to a rehearsal track to set the project tempo and using Studio Instrument drums to create a click track that matches the "feel" of the song.  I'm looking forward to the next episode.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Apeirofobia said:

I think You're by far one of the best "Audio and Music Production" Youtubers in the web. 

Thank you for this series.

Thank you so much. We live in blessed times,  there are a few other great YouTubers I enjoy who inspire me to improve, but I'm very happy you are enjoying what I've done so far :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
√ó
√ó
  • Create New...