Playback stops briefly when adding FX

Rod L. Short

Thanks, scook. It seems a bit worse lately than normal. I have also been having lots of sporadic dropouts recently. After doing a lot of research with Latency Mon, I ended up changing a couple settings in my nVidia settings and I raised the msec dropout from the default 250 to 350 in the Config File.  Also, it appears that I now need to disconnect from the internet while using Cakewalk. I have been using this program since Sonar 1 and, this is the first time I have ever needed to disconnect from the internet during use.  I'm not real sure what is going on. (Oh, also, when I am running Studio One, I have none of these issues and do not need to disconnect from the internet. )

It hasn't ever even occurred to me to try inserting a plugin during playback. 

Try to imagine all that goes on under the hood when you add a plugin. The plugin and DAW have to enter into a conversation to establish their relationship, e.g. the plugin's I/O needs and what its internal latency is. The plugin has to initialize itself, which, as Steve points out above, may involve significant buffering latency as well as file system overhead from checking licenses and loading default presets. The track may have to be reconfigured if the new plugin happened to force a change to the internal track interleave. All this has to happen within the brief window dictated by your buffer settings or you'll starve the output buffer and get a dropout. Finally, the DAW has to recalculate plugin delay compensation, and if the overall compensation has increased pause playback to get all the tracks back in sync. 

Like Kalle, I too would be shocked if inserting DSP during playback didn't cause a glitch. If not a full stop.

Rod, if this didn't happen to you before, my guess is you were just lucky. Does this happen with any plugin, or certain ones? If the latter, what type of plugin were you inserting when you noticed the glitch? A reverb or delay, perhaps? Also, what are your buffer sizes?

• Like 1

I can usually get away with it but it crashes enough I don't bother. Stop, insert, tweak, play. Either way, I do get a short delay while it loads and then it keeps going. No surprise with that.

One thing I can just about guarantee will cause a crash is changing the Sonitus reverb time settings (pre-delay, etc.) while it's playing.  Once in a blue moon only the meters will stop responding. Every other Sonitus plugin seems very well behaved.