Jump to content
  • 0
javier

Template for audio meters range

Question

Hello there;

 I am trying to save the range of all the audio meters on my default project template to -24. Cakewalk shows them on a -12 range. I am trying to avoid to change them every time I start a new project. Am I missing something or this is something Cakewalk doesn't save it in a Project Template?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

I don't know the answer to that but if you have tried it and it doesn't save with the template then you might already have your answer. Another option might be to setup a Workspace and see if that saves the meter's range setting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 1/9/2020 at 11:08 AM, javier said:

Hello there;

 I am trying to save the range of all the audio meters on my default project template to -24. Cakewalk shows them on a -12 range. I am trying to avoid to change them every time I start a new project. Am I missing something or this is something Cakewalk doesn't save it in a Project Template?

Thank you!

You can do this in Track View's Options menu, Meter Options. This is then saved with a project/template. The template will appear in the start screen so long as you save it as a .cwt file in the correct location with the other project templates. There's a "go to folder" drop down that will take you right to the template folder when saving a template. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

You can do this in Track View's Options menu, Meter Options. This is then saved with a project/template. The template will appear in the start screen so long as you save it as a .cwt file in the correct location with the other project templates. There's a "go to folder" drop down that will take you right to the template folder when saving a template. 

Thanks for the explanation!!!!! I never have changed my Meter Options (at least don't ever remember changing them). So the other day, I checked all my console meters (tracks ==> hardware buses); they were all at -42dB. Today, I see that my track meters are all at -60dB.

So, since the OP didn't specify track or console meters, I wanted to mention that there seem to be (at least) two places to set meter range preferences (in templates) in addition to thanking you for chiming in with the information of where to look for the settings and how to set them up in a template--assuming the preferences for console meters will will also be stored in project templates.

Edited by User 905133

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi,

I have tried changing and saving all the Options for meters in my template and they are not recalled.

Nevertheless, I followed reginaldStjohn suggestion; I changed them in my Workspaces and it worked great.  Thank you!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
56 minutes ago, javier said:

Hi,

I have tried changing and saving all the Options for meters in my template and they are not recalled.

Nevertheless, I followed reginaldStjohn suggestion; I changed them in my Workspaces and it worked great.  Thank you!!

As a Cakewalk user, I am a big fan of Workspaces myself; I almost never use templates--just previously saved projects that I tweak extensively (e.g., deleting all tracks, adding tracks and plug-ins, etc.). 

I have tested the "blank" and "empty" templates just so I can understand issues others talk about. (It helps me to develop a deeper understanding of Cakewalk so I can see how to use new-to-me features and techniques.  You have my curiosity, though, and will try to change both track and console meter settings to see if I have the same issue (i.e., that when a custom template is recalled, the meter ranges don't get restored as intended).

Thanks for sharing your results.

UPDATE: There are a lot of combinations and permutations to try to test, but I did do a quick test as follows.  First of all, it makes sense to me that with Custom Workspaces the Meter Options should come from the Workspace settings--even when a new template is chosen. To me that is the genius of Workspaces.

However, it seems to me that if a user has "None" for the workspace and then opens a template, the "None" workspace shouldn't override the template settings.  So, I tested that--at least with two newly created, formerly empty templates ("Whacky Meters - 001a.cwt" and . . . 001b.cwt). 

Note: I first saved the "Whacky Meters*.cwt" templates in with Projects, but moved them to the templates folder so they could be selected  from Start > New.

Condition: Workspace = "None" ;   Rebooted Cakewalk [I think rebooting might make a difference]

Results: When the template came up, my hardware buses had -90dB meters (from the template). When I added an audio track, the track meter came up as -78dB meters. In the console, the meter came up as -12dB meters.

Note: When I tried it before rebooting Cakewalk, I don't think I picked up the *.cwt meter setting; not 100% sure, though.

SWITCH: With the above in place, I simply selected one of my personal Workspaces.

Results: Track meter stayed as a -78dB meter. However, its corresponding Console meter when back to my default: -42 dB.  My Hardware meter also went back to the -42dB range.

------------------------

This was just a quickie test, so I did not look at all possible combinations and permutations. 

Conclusion: Some of it seems to work as I expect; some of it doesn't. I don't know if its my expectations that need to be tweaked so I understand what's going on better or if the complexities (of what changes when) could be explained better better.

I am optimistic about Workspaces and still think they are wonderful.  Hope this helps someone; I know I now know more about different meter ranges and might even use that knowledge.

Whacky Meters*.cwt attached.

 

 

 

Whacky Meters - 001a.cwt Whacky Meters - 001b.cwt

Edited by User 905133
to add results of some testing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

As a Cakewalk user, I am a big fan of Workspaces myself; I almost never use templates--just previously saved projects that I tweak extensively (e.g., deleting all tracks, adding tracks and plug-ins, etc.). 

I have tested the "blank" and "empty" templates just so I can understand issues others talk about. (It helps me to develop a deeper understanding of Cakewalk so I can see how to use new-to-me features and techniques.  You have my curiosity, though, and will try to change both track and console meter settings to see if I have the same issue (i.e., that when a custom template is recalled, the meter ranges don't get restored as intended).

Thanks for sharing your results.

When changing the meters range, remember there is also a DISPLAY tab on the bottom of the Pro Channel View (I just discovered it), so you can specify the meter range for a track and its associated bus in that view.

So far I found 4 places where to change meter ranges:

1- Options/Meter Options (on the Track View)

2- Options/Meters (on the Console View)

3- Display/Module Options/Meters (on the Pro Channel)

4- Right click on a single meter to see the options for that particular track/bus.

So far I am using only 3 Workspaces to see only the Track view, the Console view, or both, along my 2 screens; so I opened them and change the meters range for each Workspace and save them. Now I have all my meters at -24dB regardless of the Workspace I am working with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 minutes ago, javier said:

When changing the meters range, remember there is also a DISPLAY tab on the bottom of the Pro Channel View (I just discovered it), so you can specify the meter range for a track and its associated bus in that view.

So far I found 4 places where to change meter ranges:

1- Options/Meter Options (on the Track View)

2- Options/Meters (on the Console View)

3- Display/Module Options/Meters (on the Pro Channel)

4- Right click on a single meter to see the options for that particular track/bus.

So far I am using only 3 Workspaces to see only the Track view, the Console view, or both, along my 2 screens; so I opened them and change the meters range for each Workspace and save them. Now I have all my meters at -24dB regardless of the Workspace I am working with.

So there are even more combinations and permutations!!!!!!! Thanks for mentioning those, and for organizing the "So far . . . " list.  I was editing my post with the Addendum (my results).  I had fun testing the templates, but I have taken enough of a "fun" break for today!!!  Time to get back to other things.  If I can't sleep tonight because of different meters with various meter ranges chasing me in my dreams, I >>might<< get up, boot my PC, and poke around some more.   :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...