Video Editing Software

57Gregy

Yeah, I know it's been discussed ad infinitum, but I never needed it before.

I videoed the show of Inanimus (my room mate's grandson's band https://www.inanimus.com/?fbclid=IwAR2PwgMSE96PLQQndUBtRbPHrzAZaV1vc0coJOnR4I1HLBCE-k3hKwXFZtU ) a few days ago using my Samsung HD camera. But it only saves the video on my computer in their proprietary format and can only be edited in their program. That program won't download to my W10 computer from the camera. It will to my WXP DAW computer.
It will play back on the XP machine, jerkily. The audio plays seamlessly, but the video is stop-start all the way through.
I managed to capture the MP4 files on this (W10) computer but have the same jerky playback in WMP.  Says the format is unsupported.
I'm sure I had Windows Movie Maker on this machine before I upgraded to W10, but it ain't here now. All I have is something called "Video Editor", which sucks.
I have Windows Movie Maker on the XP box but, as mentioned, it doesn't play well.

Looking on the Best Buy website, I see several inexpensive programs from Majix, Pinnacle, Cyberlink and Sony. 

Recommendations wanted and remember I'm retired now and on a fixed income. Eighty dollars or less.

Thanks!

What is the Win10 file extension of the video file?

I'm hesitant to recommend a solution until I know that, but in the meantime, take a look at Corel's VideoStudio. I spent several years trying to get along with Cyberlink, but never did. And they're too expensive. And they try to rope you in to an annual subscription. Bah humbug.

I did a pretty thorough review of several consumer-level video apps, and bought a license to VideoStudio. Decent ease of use. Decent interface. Paid license; no subscription.

Both the Pro and Ultimate versions are currently on sale, with the Ultimate version being $4 CHEAPER (at $59.99) than the Pro version at the moment. The primary difference is the additional add-ons with Ultimate, plus some very cool masking capability (which I suspect you'll never use; but it's way cool!).

https://www.videostudiopro.com/en/products/videostudio/ultimate/

Let's make sure it can deal with the Samsung video file before you spend any money.

I have Magix Vegas Movie Maker 15. It isn't the "pro" version. As such it doesn't accept those file formats most common in digital cameras that can take HD movies. Older Canons use MOV format. I think it's an Apple extension. The pro version of Vegas accepts those formats. Otherwise you need a free converter and it can be a PITA to find a free one that doesn't want you to upgrade from their free version. I want to upgrade to Vegas Pro but haven't been willing to spend a pretty steep price IMHO to upgrade. Would be much easier though when making moves from those cameras. In comparison it's still inexpensive compared to all of the Adobe products.

If you're getting jerky motion it's probably the graphics gpu can't keep up. I get that sometimes even using a high powered gaming laptop with a fairly nice gpu in it. What I have found after owning three or four lower end video application programs is they almost always don't do something I wanted to do so I then need to hunt for a tack on solution.

Here's a vid I made in Vegas Movie Maker recently but I used online video clips in making it.

What do you mean by "your Samsung HD camera"?  If you mean a Samsung Galaxy phone I'm able to import the videos from my phone to my win10 computer either by using an OTG cable or simply by removing the memory card from the phone and using a card reader. From there I can edit the video file (without converting it to anything else) in my video editor. I use Vegas Pro or DaVinci or lately HitFilm pro.  

And if you didn't mean a Samsung Galaxy phone, then never mind.

That's a common format across the web and you should be able to pull the SD card from the recorder and  read the files using a card reader. You can then drag them into whatever program you're using. I always preferred that way of working instead of relying on the Samsung program and usb which was never reliable for me.  H 264 is mostly an MP4 with a few minor differences. The Win 10 computer video player might only be reading windows media files.

You could download VLC player which converts to a bunch of different formats and more importantly could convert to a file type read by your software. Should play the files unless your graphics card is just under powered.

Thanks, Tim.
Since W10 wouldn't load the Samsung program, I just copied the files to the hard drive. They play, but I didn't work the 'Video Editor' correctly the first time I used it.
I figured out what I did wrong and now have a viewable movie. It's pretty basic, but I'm not looking for an Oscar.
Thanks everyone who contributed.

• Like 1