pops and crackles

reza sadeghi

1 hour ago, Scott Reams said:

I have an RME Fireface UFX and I use my onboard soundcard for all non-pro-audio Windows sounds. I route the analog outputs of that card into my Fireface and monitor it through that, so everything still comes out of the same speakers.

I use a 4k 65" HDTV for a display, and have a sound bar for handling its output, and I have Windows using the HDTV ADAT out, which feeds the sound bar.  This leaves Cakewalk exclusive control of the interface.

Bob Bone

On 1/10/2020 at 11:46 PM, Scott Reams said:

I have an RME Fireface UFX and I use my onboard soundcard for all non-pro-audio Windows sounds. I route the analog outputs of that card into my Fireface and monitor it through that, so everything still comes out of the same speakers.

Thank you so much Scott for your information. I am just wondering if you had the same problem with windows sound that you route it to your fireface? did you get pops and crackles with higher sample rate than 48khz?If not, can you please tell me what was the point that you route the analoge output to your ?

Thanks again

On 1/6/2020 at 2:56 PM, David Baay said:

I second the motion. Leave your onboard sound enabled....

Good heavens! For decades, "disable the onboard sound" has been such a part of DAW tuning/troubleshooting folklore that whenever I've obtained a computer for DAW use, one of the first things I do is open the case, pry the Realtek chip off the MB,  toss it in the outside trash, then go through any printed manuals that came with the system and cross out any reference to built-in audio.😂

• 6 months later...

Cakewalk just simply has a tendency to pop and crackle more than other DAWs. That's just the way it is, even when there's barely any load on the CPU. It's not a big deal at all but that's just what I've observed. When stopping playback, it's not uncommon to hear a light clip sound like when you suddenly stop a vinyl record that I don't hear in a DAW like Studio One even under the same load. Don't get me wrong, Studio One has it's own problems, believe me! That said, however, Studio One does have a smoother audio engine than Cakewalk, and I would imagine other DAWs do as well although I haven't tried others.

Edited by Craig Reeves
  • Like 1