Funkfingers

My 3 wishes

I guess its been wished many times before.

But anyhow.

1   Audio gain adjustment  in clips.

2  Tuner up front. Its a fundamental feature that should have been implemented 20 years ago. 

3  Tempo adjustment with tap-tempo. Up front. Not in any menu or sub-menu. Away with the current "fiddely" tempo adjustment.

Thank you for keeping the best DAW alive. I love it!

• Like 2

Don’t understand what you mean by “up front”???

As far as I’m aware you can adjust clip gain in the Process menu but it’s destructive. Make a copy first. 

As for the others, like any frequently used feature you can create a key binding which will save you drilling into multiple menus.  

Not sure if that answers your question. Hope so. 

You can do an audio gain or reduction  per clip by holding the ctrl key and dragging upward or downward with in the clip. Bounce to clips will render the gain offset.

I use a very simple tuner ( G-tune ) and place it first in an effects bin. It would be useful to have a readily available one that you could quickly drag into a track. That's one use for track presets though - just have it already assigned.

I'm not sure how I would use a tap tempo. How would you use one?

On 12/29/2019 at 9:57 AM, Funkfingers said:

1   Audio gain adjustment  in clips.

@Funkfingers You can add clip automation and drag it up and down to adjust clip gain. I use this to reduce peaks and raise the level of quiet parts. You can also add a gain plugin on each clip which will act like a clip fader.

Posted (edited)
On 12/29/2019 at 9:27 PM, RBH said:

I'm not sure how I would use a tap tempo. How would you use one?

One example, I want to record myself.  Prior to recording I mentally do a count-in while tapping the requested "tap tempo" button.  The tempo switches from the 120 bpm default to my "tapped" count-in tempo of 102.37 bpm.  I'm now ready to record.

The Transport Module has three metronome buttons just to the right of the tempo window.  The buttons turn on the metronome during playback, metronome during record and opens the metronome settings window.  Perhaps one of those buttons can perform double duty as a tap tempo button.

Edited by Jim Fogle

I moved from Pro Tools 12.6 to Cakewalk by Bandlab and really miss the way clip gain is implemented in Pro Tools, with the waveform adjusting according to the amount of clip gain applied. This makes it easy to match individual clip volumes by sight.

I also miss VCAs and would love to see them in Cakewalk in the near future.

Apart from those couple of tools that I miss, I think Cakewalk is a truly excellent DAW and long may it continue! 

19 hours ago, Kevin said:

I moved from Pro Tools 12.6 to Cakewalk by Bandlab... ... I also miss VCAs and would love to see them in Cakewalk in the near future.

Hi Kevin, I've been watching lots of mixing videos and I hear VCA periodically and I'm always wondering, do they mean an automated fader??? What is it?