Can I see the Drum Map notes while editing another (bass) midi track?

Roy Slough

Question

When I am editing midi Bass lines (maybe other instruments also) it would help if I could see the drum pattens I have in the drum map area.
Only once, and I do not know how I achieved this, I could see the Kick, snare etc.  showing in the top section of the piano roll view.
Now every time I select the Bass Midi Track the Drum info disappears. (see attachment which shows the drum info)

I have experimented with filters but this did not work (not sure what filters do anyway)

Any advice would help me keep my bass notes with the Kick and snare.

Thanks

Screenshot 2024-10-21 191356.png

2 answers to this question

You can view multiple tracks in PRV in at least two ways.

If you are in track view, and select multiple tracks, then open PRV either from the main View menu or from the track context menu, all those tracks will be open in PRV.   On the right side you will see each listed, where you can choose to hide or view each one, or mute/solo them to see but not hear, etc. 

If you are already in PRV, you can go to the Tracks dropdown button to select which track(s) you're looking at.  Usually Ctrl-clicking on tracks adds them to the existing selection. 

• Like 1

I agree, just remove the drum map assignment and do it all in the PRV with both tracks showing.  For a simple drum pattern like that, it's generally  pretty obvious which rows are kicks and snares without having the drum map labels.

Alternatively, you could copy the drums to a lane of the Bass track, mute the clips, and disable Hide Muted Clips in the PRV View menu. This will give you grayed-out drum notes in the Bass track as a timing reference.

Or, better yet, play it all in live from a MIDI keyboard to get a natural interplay of drum and bass rhythms. ;^)  Time spent learning to play in real time is more productive, more fun and yields better-sounding music than drawing notes with a mouse.