Display Scale Slider in Display Properties Visible in Sonar but Not CbB?

Stephen Power

Question

I've been having some issues with the options menu in Kontakt 7 appearing cropped in CbB, making it impossible to see the full menu and then close it down, meaning I have to shut down CbB each time and then start again.

I understand that this is related to the screen resolution of Cakewalk. The fix can be done via the CbB properties menu and changing to a higher DPI. But, it doesn't always work and if it does, it only works once, for me at least.

I've had the trial version of Cakewalk Sonar and there is a difference between CbB and Sonar in the preferences menu, under Display. In Sonar there is a Display Scale Slider plus 'Enable DPI Awareness' and Enable GPU acceleration' checkbox options. I tried the first two and the options menu in Kontakt appeared in the correct form.

But, these options are not available in my version of CbB (latest update). Does anyone know if they are hidden somewhere, or have been removed - or perhaps were never there in the first place.   

Thanks for any help - and suggestions on how to see the full Kontakt Options menu in CbB would be very welcome.

Display CbB.jpg

Display Sonar.jpg

Edited by Stephen Power

10 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

At one point we were told, no new features will be added to CbB.  Maybe you missed that?

I wasn't really asking if a new feature had been added to CbB.

The question (in my OP) is: Does anyone know if they are hidden somewhere, or have been removed - or perhaps were never there in the first place.   

Edited by Stephen Power
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Power said:

I've had the trial version of Cakewalk Sonar and there is a difference between CbB and Sonar in the preferences menu, under Display. In Sonar there is a Display Scale Slider plus 'Enable DPI Awareness' and Enable GPU acceleration' checkbox options. I tried the first two and the options menu in Kontakt appeared in the correct form.

But, these options are not available in my version of CbB (latest update). Does anyone know if they are hidden somewhere, or have been removed - or perhaps were never there in the first place.   [emphasis added]

58 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Simplest explanation: These must be new features that weren't available in CbB. At one point we were told, no new features will be added to CbB.  Maybe you missed that?

47 minutes ago, Stephen Power said:

I wasn't really asking if a new feature had been added to CbB.

The question (in my OP) is: Does anyone know if they are hidden somewhere, or have been removed - or perhaps were never there in the first place.   [emphasis added]

If I misunderstood your question, I apologize.  Maybe someone else knows the answer you are looking for.

Edited by User 905133
(2) added a quotation from the Original Post; (1) fixed typos

@Kurre is correct - the option wasn't available in CbB.   

CbB doesn't support different DPI settings - instead it tells Windows that it's not DPI aware, and Windows automatically scales the UI accordingly.  For the most part it does a pretty good job, but can lead to fonts/icons being slightly blurred as part of the scaling.

Sonar on the other hand is DPI aware (a mammoth development task), which is why those options are available.

Dealing with Plugins, especially those that are DPI aware and/or support scaling is tricky, as depending on how the plugin is doing it's scaling, Sonar's DPI adjustments can end up fighting with the Plugin's DPI adjustments. 

For 99% of plugins, there's usually a setting that will work for the plugin - iZotope being a notable exception, although I believe they are aware of the issue and are working on it (it's not just Sonar that has scaling problems with some of their plugins).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Stephen Power said:

were never there in the first place.   

Its not available in CbB. 

Lastly I've used Kontakt 7 in CbB and the options menu displayed properly on my end. Try the new Kontakt 8 player. It might fix your issue with the options menu window. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/18/2024 at 11:07 AM, msmcleod said:

@Kurre is correct - the option wasn't available in CbB.   

CbB doesn't support different DPI settings - instead it tells Windows that it's not DPI aware, and Windows automatically scales the UI accordingly.  For the most part it does a pretty good job, but can lead to fonts/icons being slightly blurred as part of the scaling.

Sonar on the other hand is DPI aware (a mammoth development task), which is why those options are available.

Dealing with Plugins, especially those that are DPI aware and/or support scaling is tricky, as depending on how the plugin is doing it's scaling, Sonar's DPI adjustments can end up fighting with the Plugin's DPI adjustments. 

For 99% of plugins, there's usually a setting that will work for the plugin - iZotope being a notable exception, although I believe they are aware of the issue and are working on it (it's not just Sonar that has scaling problems with some of their plugins).

Thank you, as always. I'm ready to upgrade to Sonar! :)

On 10/18/2024 at 12:05 PM, Will. said:

Its not available in CbB. 

Lastly I've used Kontakt 7 in CbB and the options menu displayed properly on my end. Try the new Kontakt 8 player. It might fix your issue with the options menu window. 

My budget is a bit tight at the moment, so I can't upgrade, and some of the plugins I have only work with the paid version of Kontakt, unfortunately.

Edited by Stephen Power
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Stephen Power said:

My budget is a bit tight at the moment, so I can't upgrade, and some of the plugins I have only work with the paid version of Kontakt, unfortunately.

I hear you. Try to reinstall your current version of Kontakt 7. Doing that sometimes help. 

Edited by Will.
  • Like 1