can you set up to see the vst scan at startup in real time?

mark skinner

Question

I have around 200 vst's that get scanned when I open CbB. Normally I get a popup stating "scan complete" almost immediately. About 20% of the time it will hang on "searching for plugins" for about 12 to 15 sec. I'm thinking I may have a plugin that may become problematic at some point. I was just wondering if I could see visually where it is getting slowed down. 

Win10 , ssd.    Thanks ..  mark

3 answers to this question

8 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I have around 200 vst's that get scanned when I open CbB. Normally I get a popup stating "scan complete" almost immediately. About 20% of the time it will hang on "searching for plugins" for about 12 to 15 sec. I'm thinking I may have a plugin that may become problematic at some point. I was just wondering if I could see visually where it is getting slowed down. 

I usually have a window which shows the files scanned as it's scanning. It's very fast, but if it's hanging on a VST, you should be able to see which is the problem.
As you scan, videorecord the screen with your phone so you can slow it down to see.

8 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I have around 200 vst's

Amateur. 😉😄

• Haha 1

In preferences / vst settings you can check the box "Generate scan log" and then do a scan that gets logged.

From documentation:

Log the VST scanning progress to %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Logs\VstScan. log. This can be useful to troubleshoot problems when plug-ins fail to scan properly. Note: Logging is intended for diagnostic purposes, and can have overhead.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2024 at 12:52 PM, mark skinner said:

Try disabling your Antivirus before you startup CbB and see how the test goes. You can also disable the vst scan on startup and only utilize it when you install a new plugin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1