Sending to Cakewalk midi track a Bank/Patch from a midi controller

remyhardy

Question

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, remyhardy said:

I can send a control change to Cakewalk midi track from an external midi controller Button. I can't find how to send a Bank/Patch change via this same controller. Anybody succeeded to do so?

Yes.  I can send Bank/Patch change MIDI events from a Edirol PCR-800 to Cakewalk. 

If I arm a MIDI track and hit record, Cakewalk records any Bank/Patch events sent from the PCR-800 into the MIDI track.

You do have to make sure that “Patch Changes” is selected in Preferences - MIDI - Playback and Recording.

• Great Idea 1

Thank you for your answer Promidi, I see what you mean, and after recording the Bank/Patch on a midi track and insert it on a project, is it possible too launch it from an external Midi Controler while playing the project?

You said: ''If I arm a MIDI track and hit record, Cakewalk records any Bank/Patch events sent from the PCR-800 into the MIDI track.''

So once you have this track in a project containing a song, is it possible to launch this track from an external midi controler (like your keyboard) at any moment during playing the song.

The reason is, I want to send to a sound module through Cakewalk a Bank/Program change during playing the project. And I want to send it by a button on a midi controler at any moment of my choice, not at a specific moment of the song. 

Actually, if I program an event with the Bank/Patch change, I have to choose the moment of  the change in the events list. I want to send this Bank/Patch change manually on my keyboard or Launchpad (midi controlers).

No, it is not possible to “launch this track” (whatever that  entails)

Once the Bank/Program change event is in your MIDI track, your external sound module will change the part to that Bank/Program at the time of the Bank/Program change event.

I use multiple Bank/Program changes all the time in my MIDI projects.  These change the Bank/Programs that are on an external SW1000XG card while the project is playing.

19 minutes ago, remyhardy said:

So once you have this track in a project containing a song, is it possible to launch this track from an external midi controler (like your keyboard) at any moment during playing the song.

The reason is, I want to send to a sound module through Cakewalk a Bank/Program change during playing the project. And I want to send it by a button on a midi controler at any moment of my choice, not at a specific moment of the song. 

Actually, if I program an event with the Bank/Patch change, I have to choose the moment of  the change in the events list. I want to send this Bank/Patch change manually on my keyboard or Launchpad (midi controlers).

Why not just send the Bank Select / Program Change command directly to the synth in real time with MIDI Echo on?  Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to do, your setup, or the capabilities of your controller?  For some software synths, I need to use the VST2 version because the VST3 version might not work with Bank Select / Program Change commands in Cakewalk.

• Like 1

I know that it should be possible to make learn a button of the keyboard or midi controller by Cakewalk to use it in the middle of a song but I don't know how I can configure it in cakewalk. Does anybody know how to configure it? 

5 hours ago, remyhardy said:

I know that it should be possible to make learn a button of the keyboard or midi controller by Cakewalk to use it in the middle of a song but I don't know how I can configure it in cakewalk. Does anybody know how to configure it?

What exactly do you want the MIDI controller to do in the middle of a song.  What outcome do you want to achieve.   If you say, “launch this track from an external midi controller”,  I still don't understand exactly what you mean by “launch this track”.

22 hours ago, remyhardy said:

There can be several different goals for "sending Bank/Patch"... It is unclear what you want (especially after words "learn" and "launch").

If you want your MIDI controller send "Patch change", you need to configure your MIDI controller to send it. That is not something Cakewalk does, your controller can have special configuration method (controller dependent, f.e. for some "Launchpads": https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360009860380--Launchpad-Components-Custom-Mode-Editor-Guide).

If you expect Cakewalk "translates" Control Change into Program Change (f.e. if your controller can't be configured): no, it can't. At least not on its own. You need 3d party converter, running inside Cakewalk (on the track in question only so called DX/MFX plug-ins will work, VST MIDI effects are visible as "instruments") or outside (f.e. Bome MIDI translator). All that is relatively tricky to setup and use...

But may be you really want something with "learn" and "launch"... Create "MIDI Clip" with required Program change and put it into a cell in the Matrix View (inside Cakewalk). Set it to "one time" (so it is not looped...), assign correct track and "Learn" external button to launch it.
Please note Cakewalk can "leak" original MIDI message from your controller into content (so, your MIDI device/plug-in will receive corresponding CC). I don't exclude this bug is still not fixed.

• Like 1

BTW as an example how to translate by MFX plug-in: https://www.azslow.com/index.php?topic=286.msg1479#msg1479

The very last example (corresponding SPP AZLua_CC2PC is attached or you can copy the code directly).  Note if you "Record",  original CCs will be recorded. Apply MFX my Process/Apply effect/MIDI effect if you want remove MFX and/or see program changes in the events list.

That is a bit "programmers style" solution, but for me it was easier to write the preset then searching for  MFX with GUI which do the same (and I am not sure it exist...) 😏