Matching Up Sample Rates / Resolution Between CbB and Audio Interface....

Stephen Power

Question

I've got myself into a quandary about making sure the sample rates and file bit depths of Cakewalk by Bandland and my Audio interface (Behringer UMC22) match up correctly for maximum quality and also, about setting the record, render and import bit depths.

The max Sample rate / bit depth for the UMC22 is 48/16. So, I've set that in CbB and in the Behringer. I've set the Record, render & import bit depths to 16 in CbB, because I think going any higher won't make any difference due to the max bit depth of the interface (see images). 

Is all that correct, or is there something more to be done? The reason for the question is that , last night, I heard what sounded like some 'wow' on playback in CbB, and a search in this forum suggested it might be sample rate mismatch.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Behringer settings.jpg

bit depths.jpg

Cakewalk sample rate 1.jpg

6 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, tecknot said:

Hi Stephen,

I don't know if this also has any effect, but I also match Windows Recording settings too.

image.thumb.png.936e1f1f6b0b4fb69103a025dc4e7da0.png

Kind regards,

tecknot

Thank you, I'll do it, to be on the safe side. Would you say everything else is OK? Also, is leaving the recording level at 16 bit, in my case right, or could I use 24 bit, as my publisher needs? I am assuming there's no point if the interface doesn't go higher?

Edited by Stephen Power

8 hours ago, Stephen Power said:

Thank you, I'll do it, to be on the safe side. Would you say everything else is OK? Also, is leaving the recording level at 16 bit, in my case right, or could I use 24 bit, as my publisher needs? I am assuming there's no point if the interface doesn't go higher?

Upon closer inspection, I see that your Behringer is set to 44.1 kHz sample rate with 16 bit depth where as CbB is set to 48 kHz sample rate and a 24 bit depth.  Those should certainly match.  If your interface only gets a 16 bit depth (resolution), you should set CbB at the same.

Kind regards,

tecknot

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tecknot said:

Upon closer inspection, I see that your Behringer is set to 44.1 kHz sample rate with 16 bit depth where as CbB is set to 48 kHz sample rate and a 24 bit depth.  Those should certainly match.  If your interface only gets a 16 bit depth (resolution), you should set CbB at the same.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Thank you very much. I'll get onto it.

As discussed and explained many times on this forum (and other forums, blogs, videos, etc.):

• set record bit depth to the driver bit depth (from your picture 24), but interface bit depth (16) is also fine
  • set render bit depth to 32
  • set import bit depth to "Original"

16 everywhere will lower disk usage (space and throughput), so on low end (f.e. HDD) system theoretically has advantages. But 16 bit is not the depth used in the software, even in case input and output of the interface are 16 only.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2024 at 6:08 PM, azslow3 said:

As discussed and explained many times on this forum (and other forums, blogs, videos, etc.):

• set record bit depth to the driver bit depth (from your picture 24), but interface bit depth (16) is also fine
  • set render bit depth to 32
  • set import bit depth to "Original"

16 everywhere will lower disk usage (space and throughput), so on low end (f.e. HDD) system theoretically has advantages. But 16 bit is not the depth used in the software, even in case input and output of the interface are 16 only.

You can discuss and explain it as many times as you like. But I have to read it once, in order to understand. I've just done that now, thank you.