Skipping during playback with new PC

Hi everyone, I posted here about this issue a while ago with no resolution but I'm hoping someone here can help. I replaced my 10-year-old Creation Station PC with a new one a couple months ago and have been dealing with skips or hiccups during playback. My old PC ran flawlessly at 128 buffer size, but I have to set the new one at 1024 and still get skips. it's not the usual popping and clicking associated with buffer size, it's more of a hesitation. I noticed that the performance window on my control bar usually spikes to the red when this happens. The new Creation Station came with a basic version of Presonus studio one which runs flawlessly with lower buffer setting. One other issue I noticed is that my record latency adjustment device is set to Realtek ASIO. When I change it to the Apollo it reverts right back to the Realtek. I was able to uninstall the Realtek, but it reappeared after a while, and I still had the issue with the Apollo selected

I'm using an Apollo quad firewire interface with a M-Audio Profire 2626 as ADAT slave

38 minutes ago, mikec137 said:

One other issue I noticed is that my record latency adjustment device is set to Realtek ASIO. When I change it to the Apollo it reverts right back to the Realtek.

It's important to deselect the RealTek, then set it to the Apollo.
Did you do that first?

6 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Try changing the Driver Mode to something other than ASIO, then see if you can select the Quad.

WDM/KS defaults to the Apollo but not compatible as main interface