Offset for orchestra libraries?

Hello!

I use VSL Special Edition. Slower parts are ok and are played back well, but some orchestral parts at 200 BPM (metal with strings etc.) does not work. I use programmed drums so everything is on the beat...

When searching for offsets, Google tells you to enter those in your DAW...but where is this in Cakewalk? I found a thread that it will be implemented or already was? But where is it?

Or will it only be in the Cakewalk Sonar version and NOT in Cakewalk by Bandlab?

I bought Cakewalk Sonar Professional years ago...for 199€ I think...will I be able to transfer the license as I am not "just another" free Bandlab by Cakewalk user?

My main question is is this offset is already in Cakewalk by Bandlab or will be added or will only be in Cakewalk Sonar at a later point?

Thanks!

Open the MIDI channel in the <Inspector>. On the right channel strip well below the Arpeggiator section are slots for <Key +> and below that <Time +>.

Enter a negative offset in the <Time +> field to have quantized notes play earlier in time so that the ramp up is fast enough to be on the beat. I've found that most VSL strings need about -30, some slower attack patches need -50 to -70 (in milliseconds), especially for faster tempos.

Edited by OutrageProductions
  • Like 1

This offset can be adjust in the MIDI or Simple Instrument Track Inspector.   This is just above the patch browser.  Look for the Time+0.

Note this value is in ticks, not absolute time.  This means that the actual time offset will vary depending on the tempo.

The number of ticks for quarter note is determined by your clock settings in Preferences - Project - clock. 

As noted, CbB has a simple tick-based offset in each track via the Time+ widget that affects the whole track. Sonar additionally allows setting an absolute time offset via Articulation maps to accomodate changing tempos and applying  different offsets in different parts of a track if necessary.

1 hour ago, Leander said:

Thank you! So this feature is available for Cakewalk by Bandlab too and I don't need to get the upcoming Sonar version?

Only Sonar 2024 lets you use use articulation maps to specify offset delay (in ticks or in milliseconds). 

In CbB, the only way to set an offset delay is in the MIDI or Simple Instrument Track's inspector - and that is only in ticks.

Edited by Promidi
  • Like 1