Any plugins similar to Mastering the Mix "Bass Space" feature?

Just asking if there's a competitor product that does the same thing. 

From an article on the internet on how it works: 

The Bass Space feature in Levels by Mastering the Mix is designed to help you identify if non-bass elements in your mix are contributing unwanted frequencies in the low-end spectrum. This ensures that your kick and bass instruments have enough room to shine without being crowded by other instruments that shouldn't occupy the bass region. Here’s how it works when you mute your kick and bass:

1. Low-End Frequency Monitoring:
The Bass Space section of the plugin specifically analyzes the low-frequency range of your mix, typically focusing on frequencies below 250Hz. It visually shows you how much energy is present in this range.

2. Muting the Kick and Bass:
When you mute your kick and bass, you’re left with the rest of your mix (instruments, vocals, effects, etc.). This allows you to see if any of these elements are producing low-end frequencies that could interfere with your kick and bass when they’re brought back in.

3. Visual Feedback:
The plugin provides visual feedback through a meter that indicates how much low-end energy is being generated by non-bass elements. If the meter shows significant activity in the bass region even with the kick and bass muted, it means that other instruments are introducing low-end frequencies that might muddy the mix.

4. Actionable Adjustments:
Once you identify problematic instruments or sounds, you can take action to clean up the low end. This typically involves:
- Applying high-pass filters to instruments that don’t need bass frequencies.
- Adjusting the EQ to cut unwanted low-end content in elements like guitars, synths, or vocals.
- Controlling the sub-bass range of certain effects or layers that don’t contribute positively to the mix.

5. Real-Time Monitoring:
As you make adjustments, Bass Space in Levels will continue to provide real-time visual feedback. You can monitor how your changes affect the low-end balance and ensure that only the kick and bass instruments dominate the bass space once they are unmuted.

This approach helps ensure clarity in the low-end frequencies, allowing the kick and bass to have their intended impact without being masked or muddied by other elements.

Don't take this as a sarcastic reply - that's not my intent - but pretty much any equalizer with an integrated spectrum analyzer can do all that.

You might also take a look at multitrack analyzers such as MMultiAnalyzer from Meldaproduction or SPANPlus by Voxengo. Both let you overlay spectral graphs of multiple tracks and reveal spectral overlaps that are likely to result in loss of clarity in your mix. Conflicts can exist across the frequency spectrum, not just kick/bass vs. everything else. A piano or distorted rhythm guitar might be masking a vocal, for example.

• Like 1

Trying using LPF/ HPF that have a Listen node type feature or isolate freq. ranges then use you ear to balance the mix. Analyzers are fine but don't necessarily translate into better mixes because of the way its looks.

19 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

Don't take this as a sarcastic reply - that's not my intent - but pretty much any equalizer with an integrated spectrum analyzer can do all that.

You might also take a look at multitrack analyzers such as MMultiAnalyzer from Meldaproduction or SPANPlus by Voxengo. Both let you overlay spectral graphs of multiple tracks and reveal spectral overlaps that are likely to result in loss of clarity in your mix. Conflicts can exist across the frequency spectrum, not just kick/bass vs. everything else. A piano or distorted rhythm guitar might be masking a vocal, for example.

Thanks for reminding me. 

I already have a tool for that.  For some reason I got myself stuck on just wanting to buy levels for any reason.  GAS you know.

I have HorNet Multifreqs which does what those plugins do.  I just never thought about using it for just base space or any reason for that matter.  I bought it because of GAS.

https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/hornet-multifreqs/

1 hour ago, GTsongwriter said:

GAS you know.

Oh, don't I know it too well.

I once bought a plugin after forgetting that I'd already bought it in the past but had never used it. That's because I had also forgotten that it had turned out to be useless the first time.