strong message from competitor

Misha

I don't want to mention a name of a well known DAW that will release their version 7 next month. But what came as a surprise, in their short, non technical pre-release video they mentioned "Perpetual licenses" about a dozen  times. I wonder why? Maybe it's very important to their flock...  

42 minutes ago, paulo said:

Did they also mention that they are doing something about the fugly UI is or did they just ignore that part like they usually do? 😀

It's hard to imagine having to look at that in perpetuity.

I am using another DAW, which is already at version 7 for a while. And for that DAW I understand complains about UI. But the DAW which is still at version 6, UI looks Ok for me.

But I can't say the same about price / features... Sorry to say, but  versions bound to year and fixed price for any upgrade (announced strategy) is almost the same BS as subscription. Effectively users are asked to pay for "the work", independent from what was done. I understand that is good for marketing team and that is "current trend", but till alternative exists, I will not play such game.

2 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

no issues with that here, i find it clear and usable, decent information architecture

The weird thing is, I quite liked it in the publicity shots, but once it's there in front of me it just looks dull and I don't like the control bar being fixed at the bottom, so I have a licence, but never use it.

1 hour ago, azslow3 said:

am using another DAW, which is already at version 7 for a while. And for that DAW I understand complains about UI. But the DAW which is still at version 6, UI looks Ok for me.

I guess there's no reason or logic to how people see different UI's. I don't hate the look of the grim one, but when I tried it the messy menu arrangement left a lot to be desired. Plus the only reason I was trying it was because of the potential ability to be able to open CW projects that you made. Unfortunately that didn't really work too well with my projects, so I saw no need to persist with it. Not a dig at you in any way at all, it was a great thing that you did, just how it was in my case.

Edited by paulo

4 hours ago, Misha said:

I don't want to mention a name of a well known DAW that will release their version 7 next month. But what came as a surprise, in their short, non technical pre-release video they mentioned "Perpetual licenses" about a dozen  times. I wonder why? Maybe it's very important to their flock...  

But you missed something, Pre Sonus talk about the best option being the annual subscription plan.

Yes they mention the perpetual licence once, but most is talk of the subscription plan.

You will be better off buying the annual subscription plan with all its extras.

If you are going talk about something, be honest and upfront, they want you to buy a subscription, rather than a perpetual licence.