Cakewalk communication problem with External Synth

Michel Fouche

Question

I am using a Korg rack mount synth that I just happen to have lying around. I have the MIDI cable going out of the Audio Interface (AI) and into the Korg. I have an audio cable going out of my Korg into Audio input 1 of the AI. I have a Launchpad Mini 3 (keyboard) connected to the computer via USB. The AI is also connected to the computer via USB. I am listening through headphones connected to the AI.

When I create a MIDI track and send the output to the AI I get weird results. If I play the keyboard I can see the levels reacting in the track, but get no sound. If I go into piano roll view (PRV) and play the keyboard I can see the virtual keyboard responding, but nothing appears on the piano roll. If, however, I play the virtual piano in PRV notes appear on the roll and I can hear them being produced from the Korg. 

Another weird thing is that if I create a MIDI track and send the output to a virtual instrument I can use the keyboard to record. If I then take that MIDI clip and copy it into the track that is outputing to the AI (and as a result, the Korg) when I play the clip I don't get sound. If I totally disconnect the keyboard from the computer and try to use it as a stand alone MIDI controller going into the Korg I don't get sound out of the Korg either. Could there be a MIDI format issue? Given that MIDI is an ancient protocol I wouldn't have thought so?

I can't see what I could have possibly missed, since the Korg is clearly receiving MIDI instructions and clearly emitting a sound signal. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me crazy

Magically yours,

Michel Fouché

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet