making choir practice CDs from existing background tracks

Roger Jorgenson

Question

I am making SATB practice CD to provide the choir members.

I import the Performance Track from the audio CD on one track.

Then I use the staff view on a separate track and write the music note by note. 

when playing the two are never in sync. To make it more difficult the CD music will also change tempo.

I have attempted to use the quantize but it seems to have no effect or i don't know what it does.

Does anyone out there do something like this?

5 answers to this question

What is being said is before you add notation or Midi events to a project you will need a Tempo map that matches the tempo of the music on the CD.  It is too late to do this later on. It needs to been done first. 

Extracting the tempo from music that is already recorded can be done, but it totally depends on the original music and it's content. A rock song with a steady drum beat is much easier to use than a symphony piece with dozens of changes and no drums. 

You mention a performance track CD, those are often using drums. So that's a good sign. 

Cakewalk/ Sonar has two ways that I'm aware of for extracting tempo.   One is really fussy using the Audio snap tools, the other is super simple but doesn't always work correctly.  I would give that a try first.  You need to have a licensed copy of Melodyne installed of which I'm not dead sure Cakewalk includes anymore. Got nothing to loose by trying it. 

Drag and drop the Audio track to the Timeline.  If given a choice try the Percussive algorithm first. 

On 9/15/2024 at 1:11 PM, Roger Jorgenson said:

i have one audio track with timpani and might have had success, hard to tell. I have to tweak the tempo up and down to keep the notation 'very close' to the audio track. It could also be that i did not succeed making a rhythm map in there at all and i am just brute force pushing the tempo to match. What is the Quantize? my reading the help tutorials seems to indicate quantize will force the two (or more?) tracks to a compromise rhythm. If i make this rhythm map you speak of is it graphically visible somewhere? (a few hours later) After fussing with it I think the only success i have had is by tweaking the tempo up and down. I really dont think i have caused Cakewalk to "look at" the beats of the audio  file.

Edited by Roger Jorgenson