White horizontal line across monitor

Jeremy Oakes

Hello, i have this really annoying white horizontal line that suddenly appeared on boot up today. From the moment the Bios kicks in and onwards its there

I’ve tried reseating  cables (power and from pc), re-booting (hot and cold) stopping/starting monitor electrically, and its still there. Not affecting work but I’d like to get rid of it.

Video card or monitor issue ?  Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

J

IMG_5620.jpeg

Looks like your monitor is ready to move on to its next exciting role.

What inputs does it have, HDMI, DP, etc. If your card supports different outs and your monitor does to, you could try that. 

It does look like pixel failure or far more irritating VRAM failure on you graphics card.

Not helpful I know, apologies. 

15 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

Looks like your monitor is ready to move on to its next exciting role.

What inputs does it have, HDMI, DP, etc. If your card supports different outs and your monitor does to, you could try that. 

It does look like pixel failure or far more irritating VRAM failure on you graphics card.

Not helpful I know, apologies. 

Thanks you oh furry one ! 

I’m going to try an HDMI cable this pm (no display port socket)  and replace the dvi. 

No on-board graphics to try. I’m thinking graphics card ….. ouch.

J

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

Thanks you oh furry one ! 

I’m going to try an HDMI cable this pm (no display port socket)  and replace the dvi. 

No on-board graphics to try. I’m thinking graphics card ….. ouch.

J

Just in case anyone was waiting with baited breath, it looks like i am going to have to put my hand in a pocket and get a new screen. The line appears even when nowt is connected and when the screen is turned off/on.

RIP

J

1 hour ago, pwalpwal said:

monitors are (/can be) cheap as chips these days

I get them for free from my neighbor up the street who works as a facilities manager at businesses down in Silicon Valley.

These places ask him to take them to e-waste facilities, they're perfectly good, functional high quality Dell monitors. 3 days ago he gave me a 24" and he currently has 3 22" in the back of his truck on their way to be scrapped. My main DAW system up until a year or so ago was a Dell Optiplex i7-3770 system that he gave me several years back.

Since these just replace smaller ones I already have, I have 3 or 4 nice Dell monitors to get rid of myself now. If you were anywhere near the SF Bay Area, you could have them.

I run 3 monitors, the biggest one is a 42" Samsung TV I got from a friend who replaced it with a 55" 3D one that a neighbor was putting out on the street before a move. The other 2 are 24" Dells I got from the neighbor.

If you have Craig's List or something similar where you live, 22"+ LCD's are often on there for $20-30.