Automate tempo changes

Ian T

No.

Tempo isn't actually automation - it's just shown as an envelope.

Automating tempo makes no sense - tempo underpins everything in the engine. Automating it would be like changing your car wheel size while you're driving it.

Hey,

I think we are talking past each other here Mark. ie potentially using differing definitions.

What I mean is: can I record changes in tempo or at least, gradually change the tempo after recording.

Playing at various tempos during a single piece,  is very natural for musicians.

In some DAWS you can map tempo to a controller, and record those movements. This is what I mean by automation.

Some DAWS even allow you to play at a varying tempos, without a click and try and work out the tempo fluctuations later, to map a grid to it.

Thanks,

Ian

As far as I know, Next only supports a single tempo at the moment.

A release with a tempo track is imminent though.

I think what you're talking about is tempo detection - i.e. automatically building the tempo track from an existing recording, so it effectively snaps to the grid (because your "grid" is changing to match the audio).

Tempo detection is on the roadmap, but won't be available in the first cut of the tempo track.

What you will be able to do however is record at a tempo of say 120, alter the tempo in the tempo track, then get you're recording to follow your tempo changes.