NI Komplete 15 pre-order, includes Kontakt 8

fret_man

11 hours ago, fret_man said:

Kontakt 7 seemed very  short-lived to me.

As someone who is constantly having to open legacy projects for ongoing multi-season / sequel projects, it's infuriating. 

Native Instruments is infamous for it's terrible backend engineering and file management, and nothing epitomizes this than having to have Kontakt 4, 5, 6, 7...and now 8...installed to open projects going back 5+ years. And then having to have multiple versions of some libraries on legacy drives, because all the nonsense they do in between versions (and kontakt file specifications) means developers need to update conform with no backward compatability.

If I start a day knowing I need to open projects from 2018, I know I'll spend an hour or two just dealing with various Kontakt version not knowing where anything is, even though everything is installed AND linked through Native Access. And if any older libraries have been batch saved to ensure smooth operation in the god awful performance of Kontakt 7, those libraries will no longer work in Kontakt 4, 5, 6, and I will need the original files in order to connect and load in legacy projects. Then there's the wonderful "find missing files" dialogue, that even when pointing it to the right files, it often won't actually load anything and Kontakt will load blank. To solve this? I have to have legacy versions of my DAW installed, so I can try and open the project in the same state is was in many years ago - since sometimes that works - hoping that somehow Kontakt will figure it out - then I can copy the properly loaded project settings into the new DAW session. 

NI is the ****ing worst. I love their products from a creative point of view, but they cost me $1000s a year is lost productivity because their software is so god awfully engineered, with not a damn ounce of concern for how major backend decision will affect their customers, and that they're spitting out Kontakt versions simply to milk their customers base not caring how much  of a nightmare this is for professionals. I could throw a chair through a wall some days with how much time I lose dealing with this nonsense. Now that I hear Kontakt 8 is coming out I've decided to start meditating again.

Edited by Carl Ewing
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Carl Ewing said:

As someone who is constantly having to open legacy projects for ongoing multi-season / sequel projects, it's infuriating. 

Native Instruments is infamous for it's terrible backend engineering and file management, and nothing epitomizes this than having to have Kontakt 4, 5, 6, 7...and now 8...installed to open projects going back 5+ years. And then having to have multiple versions of some libraries on legacy drives, because all the nonsense they do in between versions (and kontakt file specifications) means developers need to update conform with no backward compatability.

If I start a day knowing I need to open projects from 2018, I know I'll spend an hour or two just dealing with various Kontakt version not knowing where anything is, even though everything is installed AND linked through Native Access. And if any older libraries have been batch saved to ensure smooth operation in the god awful performance of Kontakt 7, those libraries will no longer work in Kontakt 4, 5, 6, and I will need the original files in order to connect and load in legacy projects. Then there's the wonderful "find missing files" dialogue, that even when pointing it to the right files, it often won't actually load anything and Kontakt will load blank. To solve this? I have to have legacy versions of my DAW installed, so I can try and open the project in the same state is was in many years ago - since sometimes that works - hoping that somehow Kontakt will figure it out - then I can copy the properly loaded project settings into the new DAW session. 

NI is the ****ing worst. I love their products from a creative point of view, but they cost me $1000s a year is lost productivity because their software is so god awfully engineered, with not a damn ounce of concern for how major backend decision will affect their customers, and that they're spitting out Kontakt versions simply to milk their customers base not caring how much  of a nightmare this is for professionals. I could throw a chair through a wall some days with how much time I lose dealing with this nonsense. Now that I hear Kontakt 8 is coming out I've decided to start meditating again.

iZotope is terrible for all this as well.. another reason why they're such a great fit with NI and that's not something they should be proud of...

If I could just purchase a new version of Ozone, RX, whatever and have it open old sessions the upgrades might be more appealing. I couldn't be bothered updating to their latest versions for that reason alone. Plus, they often force you to install VST2 and AAX with some of theirs and so then I need multiple major versions of software installed along with corresponding VST2, AAX, etc for each one that I'll never use.. wastes plugin scan times in multiple DAWs and actually some of those formats have caused errors when scanning all plugins. 

Epic fail on both NI and iZotope and a great example of how not to be as a developer.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kitekrazy1 said:

Make a new version and and call it a fix but no free upgrade. 

Enshittification. 

Now they are copying Steinberg's business model. Other than 3rd party VST2 and VST3 plugins (I have over 900 of them) that have to license and use Steinberg's SDKs, I am Steinberg- (and Waves-) free. 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Maar said:

Now they are copying Steinberg's business model. Other than 3rd party VST2 and VST3 plugins (I have over 900 of them) that have to license and use Steinberg's SDKs, I am Steinberg- (and Waves-) free. 👍

Hi John

Same here - had my fingers badly burnt by both of them - so having been Steinberg free for many years, I now find I have to deal with them again because of the arbitrary dropping of the ELicenser - I really do hate them!!!!!

Hope you keeping well

Nigel

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi John

Same here - had my fingers badly burnt by both of them - so having been Steinberg free for many years, I now find I have to deal with them again because of the arbitrary dropping of the ELicenser - I really do hate them!!!!!

Hope you keeping well

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I'm doing great and hope the same for you. I finally figured out how to update my Amazon Music playlists on my phone. The Android app insists on using French. Yesterday, I finally figured out how to sync my playlists that I create with the Windows app to my phone, so now I have my Devine Lie playlist on my phone and downloaded, so I can listen without using 5G data while walking my dogs. 🎸👍