vocals distorting -SOLVED

greg54

The vocals I recorded on a certain song were fine after I recorded them but are now distorting in a couple of areas.  They weren't distorting after I recorded them, but they do a little bit now here and there.   Does anyone know what would cause that?  

Edited by greg54
Solved

You really didn't supply any details so very hard to trouble shoot. 

First thing I would do is by pass all effects and just listen to the raw vocal in solo. Possibly you are overdriving and clipping the signal path at some point, like the Pro Channel. 

Sorry, but I don't know what other info to give.

I have soloed it, which is how I discovered the issue.  I recorded it a while back and am in the process of mixing.

It seemed fine a couple of days ago, but when I soloed it to check it out, I heard some distortion.

I also had compression on the track but had to turn it way down from where I had it originally because it no longer sounded as clean.

I did not record it too hot, btw.

Edited by greg54

Why I said you need to bypass all effects, ALL effects and then determine if the distortion is present in the RAW audio track by turning up the gain enough to hear it but without going into the red. 

Look at the wave forum in the spots where you hear it. does it have a flat top?  

It is possible to clip some types of Condenser mikes at the built in Pre Amp. Especially cheapo's. 

• Like 2

• greg54 changed the title to vocals distorting -SOLVED