How do I get Cakewalk to just play regular GM/GS now that TTS-1 is gone?

Tater

Question

I used to use the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth in Cakewalk as a base to arrange simple midi music to prototype some songs. But I recently got a new pc and downloaded the latest version of Cakewalk to find that not only is the GS Wavetable Synth no longer supported, but neither is TTS-1! I have searched the internet for any solution. I have already tried Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth and x42 gmsynth but couldn't get either of them to work. I won't pay for the Roland Virtual Sound Canvas since I wouldn't be using their other stuff often enough for the price to be worth it.

Does anybody have any solution for me? I'd even be cool with an alternative program that can export to MIDI so I can then arrange it in Cakewalk. This is just a hobby for me so I can't afford anything expensive.

Edited by Andrew Stieve

9 answers to this question

If you can reinstall the Cakewalk version that had the TTS-1 you will be able to use it with the newer versions of Cakewalk that don't include it. If you use the advanced installation option you can install just the TTS-1 and not the program files.

16 hours ago, Chaps said:

If you can reinstall the Cakewalk version that had the TTS-1 you will be able to use it with the newer versions of Cakewalk that don't include it. If you use the advanced installation option you can install just the TTS-1 and not the program files.

Ok cool. But how do I do that? I don't have the install file for that version of Cakewalk since it's on my other pc. Is there an archive of it somewhere?

17 minutes ago, Andrew Stieve said:

Ok cool. But how do I do that? I don't have the install file for that version of Cakewalk since it's on my other pc. Is there an archive of it somewhere?

The three ways I have downloaded legacy Cakewalk products are 1: Login to the old Cakewalk site and sign in. The products I have registered are listed and most are available for download. 2: Use the Cakewalk Command Center. 3: Use the disks I purchased.  The legacy Cakewalk site has links to your registered products as well as the Command Center.

Are you unable to access the installation files on your other PC?

https://legacy.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2fMy-Account%2fProducts

Edited by Chaps

3 minutes ago, Chaps said:

The three ways I have downloaded legacy Cakewalk products are 1: Login to the old Cakewalk site and sign in. The products I have registered are listen and most are available for download. 2: Use the Cakewalk Command Center. 3: Use the disks I purchased.  The legacy Cakewalk site has links to your registered products as well as the Command Center.

Are you unable to access the installation files on your other PC?

https://legacy.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2fMy-Account%2fProducts

Yes I am unable to access my other pc since it is at home and I am at college. I redownloaded the app on my laptop. I'll try to see if the legacy thing works.

But what if I just have the TTS-1.dll file?

Edit: Tried the legacy Cakewalk link but I do not have a Cakewalk account and it turns out that account creation is disabled.

Edited by Andrew Stieve

24 minutes ago, pwalpwal said:

support@cakewalk.com

This website does not seem to be up to date. It still says to use TTS-1. But it also looks like it's only for Cakewalk Sonar and Cakewalk Next instead of Cakewalk by Bandlab, which I am using.

Edited by Andrew Stieve

4 minutes ago, Andrew Stieve said:

This website does not seem to be up to date. It still says to use TTS-1. But it also looks like it's only for Cakewalk Sonar and Cakewalk Next instead of Cakewalk by Bandlab, which I am using.

There's a few options for GM playback if you don't have the TTS-1.

The easiest to get is found here https://www.synthfont.com/

Some are free some are very inexpensive but all use sound fonts and support GM playback.  

What sucks now is Cakewalk used to automatically insert the TTS-1 when you opened a GM file and had nothing selected in Midi outputs in preferences. 

So now open the Midi file and it will default to none as there won't be a player.  

Now just insert the GM player and normally the tracks should all now default to the player, if they don't globally change them using Tracks menu. 

Easiest way to get the TTS-1 back is to find an older installer of Cakewalk in your downloads folder from last year. 

You cannot manually install the TTS-1.  It has to be installed with the Daw. 

19 hours ago, Bass Guitar said:

There's a few options for GM playback if you don't have the TTS-1.

The easiest to get is found here https://www.synthfont.com/

Some are free some are very inexpensive but all use sound fonts and support GM playback.  

What sucks now is Cakewalk used to automatically insert the TTS-1 when you opened a GM file and had nothing selected in Midi outputs in preferences. 

So now open the Midi file and it will default to none as there won't be a player.  

Now just insert the GM player and normally the tracks should all now default to the player, if they don't globally change them using Tracks menu. 

Easiest way to get the TTS-1 back is to find an older installer of Cakewalk in your downloads folder from last year. 

You cannot manually install the TTS-1.  It has to be installed with the Daw. 

Ok thanks. My only opportunity of finding an old cakewalk installer will be when I go home during a vacation from college or something, but it's good to know that that might work. In the meantime I'll try these other solutions.

• Like 1