My ASIO driver won't allow me to use Cakewalk with other software (RX standalone, Kontak standalone, other DAW)

Wojtek Stecyszyn

Question

Hello everyone.

Maybe this is not strict CbB related but I need your priceless input on this.

Question for ASIO driver users: 

Can you guys run Cakewalk and other program (second DAW, or any other standalone application like RX, Amplitube, Kontakt) at the same time?

My case:

One ASIO driver provided from TASCAM for my old Tascam audio interface allows me to run two or three programs simultaneously (Cakewalk, Reaper, RX standalone). Now I got brand new, shiny UR44c interface from Steinberg and its Yamaha USB driver (ASIO) does not allow me to use this interface with more than one program.

EXAMPLE: I have project opened in CbB and need to go with one audio clip out of CbB to RX standalone, edit it there (with no need to close CbB and leave it running in the background) save edits export from RX and load back to CbB. I use to be able to do that on my old ASIO driver but not on the Yamaha Steinberg ASIO.

Can you perform similar operation?

Is one ASIO so different from another?

And most important - is there a solution for my situation?

The workaround that I have found is that I run my main Cakewalk in ASIO mode and Reaper I have to switch to WASAPI Shared and RX to MME mode. But this is not a perfect solution as ASIO is the best option.

Another question: how bad is to run RX in MME and Reaper in WASAPI instead of ASIO? Can I live with this situation?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Wojtek Stecyszyn

12 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Can you please write which exactly Yamaha Steinberg driver do you use? Name and version?

Yamaha only has this one driver as far as I can tell. It is used for all products including some of their Workstation Keyboards that have Mike and Guitar inputs. 

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/proaudio/mixers/mg_series_xu_model/downloads.html#product-tabs

But Steinberg seems to use a driver that has the same name but the version numbers are a bit different. 

https://o.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads_hardware/yamaha_steinberg_usb_driver.html    

21 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Do you know the type of your drivers - are any of them/all of them multi-client maybe?

All my devices always use ASIO, if a device doesn't have an ASIO driver I wouldn't use it.  I have no clue what a Multi client driver is, out of my league. My understanding is ASIO can only be used by one device at a time unless they are the same brand or model, possibly that is a multi client driver??  

23 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Also what 2 DAWS in particular are you writing about.

Good question as I have, CbB, Mixcraft, Protools, Cubase, Ardour, Digital Performer as well as I always open Wave Lab and Gold Wave while my Daw's are running.  I record You Tubes directly to my Daw's using Loopback which is an ASIO feature. I will open Vegas Video editor while my Daw's are open, I run OBS studio while my Daw's are open. 

28 minutes ago, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Please write also what is this screen shot representing? It looks like your windows speakers settings to me. If it is - then it does not relate to the topic of this thread.

This is your Windows sound settings in W10. It looks different in W11. But never the less this is what is important as Windows audio is still in control of all your audio apps even if some are using ASIO.  Obviously You Tube is not using ASIO. But if you have everything set up correctly you can open the Windows audio mixer and you will see all your Apps are there as channels of the mixer. 

I have never owned a Steinberg interface but  their software always installs a terrible generic asio driver that you need to delete in the Reg Edit app. There was a real good tutorial on Audio set up for Sonar but it seems the links are gone now. 

On 8/29/2024 at 12:40 AM, Wojtek Stecyszyn said:

Hello everyone.

Maybe this is not strict CbB related but I need your priceless input on this.

Question for ASIO driver users: 

Can you guys run Cakewalk and other program (second DAW, or any other standalone application like RX, Amplitube, Kontakt) at the same time?

Yeah, I often have CbB open and YT. In that case I'm switching focus back and forth. I'm using a MOTU M4 and opened CbB, Ableton Live 11 Std, and Sound Forge and ran them all at the same time. I had a file running in SF, a backing track in Live and my guitar coming in an input on CbB. Cool, I've never done that before. I first had CbB and Live with guitar as input and could see the input and output meters in both, but it was hard to say if I was hearing both, but in the test with various things running it was obvious. HTH.