New: Kush UBK-2!

MusicMan

1 hour ago, MusicMan said:

It does.. RRP is $199.. 

The original is very good, but that's a steep price for V2!

Update is $49, free if bought in the last three months.  $99 is too steep for me to jump in.  I did like UBK-1 when I had the sub to try all their plugins.  Love Blyss, TWK, 458a and REDDI.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pat Osterday said:

Update is $49, free if bought in the last three months.  $99 is too steep for me to jump in.  I did like UBK-1 when I had the sub to try all their plugins.  Love Blyss, TWK, 458a and REDDI.

I trialed the UBK1 and really liked it, but the market has too many great compressors for much less for it to be that price point in my opinion.  I would've bought it previously, but it wasn't VST3 and it wasn't scalable.

RRP should be $99 and sale price $49 at most for outright, not upgrade.

It just seems like a way of extracting as much money from existing customers that have V1.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MusicMan said:

I trialed the UBK1 and really liked it, but the market has too many great compressors for much less for it to be that price point in my opinion.  I would've bought it previously, but it wasn't VST3 and it wasn't scalable.

RRP should be $99 and sale price $49 at most for outright, not upgrade.

It just seems like a way of extracting as much money from existing customers that have V1.

out of interest what do you rate as the great compressors?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Mr No Name said:

out of interest what do you rate as the great compressors?

That sounds like a simple question, but it really depends on what function it's needed for at the time!

Some general ones that come to mind for a few different use cases:

• Deep settings / swiss army knife compressors
    • TDR Kotelnikov GE or Klanghelm DC8C advanced compressor. These cover so much they can replace allmost everything if you add a saturation plugin and EQ.
  • SSL style buss compressors
    • Plugin Alliance Townhouse compressor (I always turn the noise way down on this now) as it's got a great vibe
    • SSL Native Bus Compressor 2. Often just works.
  • Drums and aggressive
    • UA 1176 Bundle or Overloud Comp76 FET Compressor-Limiter (Basically every compressor from Overloud is pretty much is amazing)
    • PSP Vintage Warmer 2 or Micro Warmer
  • Vocals
    • Overloud Comp LA or UA  Teletronix LA-2A Leveler Collection
  • Bass
    • Kiive KC1 | Opto Tube Compressor (works great on vocals too)
  • Mastering
    • Unisum Mastering Compressor
    • Weiss Compressor / Limiter
    • Pulsar Mu
  • Super coloured
    • UA 175B and 176
    • Plugin Alliance SPL Iron

If I was answering tomorrow, there might be some different answers, as there really are so many great compressors. Most of that list can be picked up on sale and for the sale price of the UBK-2 you could be getting up to 4  or 5 different compressors in some case. Some are a bit more expensive than that on sale, but you could still get 2 (or more depending on the combination) great compressors for the same price as the UBK-2 on sale.

Unisum is actually more on sale by about $20, but it is insanely more versatile and comrehensive and there's no comparison.

A bunch of the Plugin Alliance compressors are really good. I love the Neold ones, Elysia (Alpha and mPressor (noise down) and more.

We're really just so spoilt for choice these days. There are so many that came to mind (and those that didn't), that are equally worthy of being ont the list and are almost entirely sub $50 on sale :)

Edited by MusicMan
  • Like 2