The End of Finale -crossgrade to Dorico

kitekrazy1

My computer crashed. Can I authorize on a new computer?
Yes, you still have access to download installers from your MakeMusic account page and can authorize on compatible operating systems until August 25th, 2025. Effective August 26th, 2025, it will no longer be possible to reauthorize Finale after installing it on a new computer.

I am sick of companies unilaterally breaching the ability to use a purchased license. We need a good (class action?) lawsuit that sets a precedent that companies wanting to turn off their licensing systems should provide a DRM-free copy

• Like 6
  • Great Idea 1

7 minutes ago, trager said:

As far as I know, the Dorico crossgrade goes cheaper than this on sale anyway. I'd say the offer should be better under the circumstances.

This is the Pro version.  I bought it anyway even though I rarely use staff software.  I thought about going to the free Muse software.  Download a course on Udemy for $10 and your set to go.  Interesting Sibelius outlasts Finale.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Eusebio Rufian-Zilbermann said:

I am sick of companies unilaterally breaching the ability to use a purchased license. We need a good (class action?) lawsuit that sets a precedent that companies wanting to turn off their licensing systems should provide a DRM-free copy

I don't want to be at the moment of desperation to look for illegal means to use it. 

We shall see what happens.

Pretty odd that Finale 95 still works.

32 bit versions of Finale are also stable.

They broke a promise that you could import PDF .  That kind of software is $300 or some type of sub. 

Edited by kitekrazy1

20 hours ago, kitekrazy1 said:

This is the Pro version.  I bought it anyway even though I rarely use staff software.  I thought about going to the free Muse software.  Download a course on Udemy for $10 and your set to go.  Interesting Sibelius outlasts Finale.

Apparently Finale is 35 yrs old while Dorico is only 8 yrs old. So, it makes sense that the older code base is more difficult to support and upgrade, which appears to to be the primary reason for the abandonment. It's too difficult and expensive to keep it useable for future OS and hardware technologies compared to their competitors. It's a competitive issue. 

Even though Finale can be downloaded and authorized for another year, the writing's on the wall - even if I get a DRM-free version. I may has well go ahead and start using Dorico sooner rather than later.

I've used MuseScore quite  bit and there's a lot lacking compared to Finale. Still, for basic, uncomplicated notation, it's fine. Some of it is intuitive. Some not so much.

Edited by fret_man

20 hours ago, kitekrazy1 said:

<snip>

They broke a promise that you could import PDF .  That kind of software is $300 or some type of sub. 

For Finale users it's only $200 but, still, I get your point. OTOH, it's an amazing piece of software.