GSi updates VB3-II Tonewheel Organ Simulator to v2.3.0

satya

Changes in VB3-II v2.3.0

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=44

Added Program reordering by drag and drop of list items (hold mouse down for 1 second to activate).

Improved Audio Player functionalities:

Added “Use MMC” option to respond to Midi Machine Control commands (Play, Stop, Next/Previous song).

Added Auto-Play option to chose whether playback should start automatically or not.

Playlist automatically saved and restored.

Added precise Vu-Meters in all edit pages.

Improved support for screen readers.

Improved user manual export in HTML format.

Several small UI improvements.

Fixed some minor issues.

VB3-II for Windows and Mac (VST/VST3, AU and standalone) is available to purchase for 100 EUR (ex. VAT where applicable). The update is free for existing users of VB3-II.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2024 at 4:13 PM, fret_man said:

This used to be THE B3 to get and for a long while felt abandoned while the author went on to hardware designs. Glad to see he's back. Any comments on how it now compares to Blue3 or IK's B3, or perhaps another?

All three are excellent and have their own strengths and weak points. I don't have VB3 but I've listened to it so closely that made me very familiar with it's sound. In my opinion VB3 excels in jazz (by it's leslie quality), Blue3 has a lot to offer for rock (with it's heavier leslie quality), B3x is great all-rounder but is a resource hog (and has probably most convincing leslie). I believe, in skilled hands any of the three will make it for whatever music genre. BTW Blue3 has been sold to Cherry Audio so heads up.

• Thanks 1

I am disappointed that NOT included in the list of enhancements is a bullet point promising that it "sounds more like a B3".

The original VB3 was, in its time, the most believable B3/Leslie emulation you could get. I wished then that I could use it live on stage, even going as far as running it on a laptop for awhile before deciding that laptops were too much of a hassle and too unreliable for live performance.

Then I heard about the Crumar Mojo, a hardware synth that ran VB3 internally. It also featured the respected Fatar waterfall keybed. Perfect! So I bought one for $1500.

That instrument now sits in a case on a shelf gathering dust, one of many expensive mistakes I've made. The reason: it sounds worse than the original VB3 soft synth. Why? Because it runs VB3-II under the hood, a complete rewrite that doesn't sound as good as the original VB3. I also have the soft synth version of VB3-II, and have tried every trick I know to make it sound good. It just doesn't.

After trying just about every Hammond emulation there is, Blue3 deserves second place. The top spot, IMO, belongs to IKM's B3-X. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, bitflipper said:

The original VB3 was, in its time, the most believable B3/Leslie emulation you could get. I wished then that I could use it live on stage, even going as far as running it on a laptop for awhile before deciding that laptops were too much of a hassle and too unreliable for live performance.

Then I heard about the Crumar Mojo, a hardware synth that ran VB3 internally. It also featured the respected Fatar waterfall keybed. Perfect! So I bought one for $1500.

That instrument now sits in a case on a shelf gathering dust, one of many expensive mistakes I've made. The reason: it sounds worse than the original VB3 soft synth. Why? Because it runs VB3-II under the hood, a complete rewrite that doesn't sound as good as the original VB3. I also have the soft synth version of VB3-II, and have tried every trick I know to make it sound good. It just doesn't.

That has been an ongoing mystery for me . I don't remember how I checked the first VB3, think there was trial available in the past and I've watched it from the top and bottom, front and back, even looked inside, and just couldn't find it close in sound to a real Hammond/Leslie combo, to me it's too artificial, unresponsive and it's Leslie was very unconvincing. I'd been asking someone for a hint how it could be he's preferred virtual B3 but got no answer (I'm probably putting my question in a bad shape or form with too much critics on it in front, LOL... I'll blame language barrier). Maybe it gives you a sound like an organ processed and already mixed in background of, say, a rock record, one that blends seamlessly? I'm really curious to learn your point of view.

OTOH VB3mk2 (and Mojo), for me, is a leap right into the top of the virtual B3 emulations where Blue3 and B3X are, with it's Leslie maybe just missing tiny something for rock (and the more contemporary side of gospel) and being excellent for jazz. That's why for rock I used to recommend Blue3 more, mostly because of slight differences in Leslie sound, and bit heavier overdrive should you need it. And the B3X possibly even slightly more natural sounding of all, again, especially because of how the Leslie sounds and it's the newest one, but at the cost of higher CPU, RAM and disk usage, guess there might be some convolution tech in it that's very taxing. Also Blue3 has this Custom leslie I always encourage to check out.

And boy, I still remember my first 'wow' moment with Blue3 when, after first listening to all the, mostly rock-oriented presets, I've set everything down to zero, then started pulling out things one by one, the first 2-3 drawbars, no effects apart from standard V/C and some more conservative leslie settings, just as you'd do it on a real one. Sent it through my full range 12" speakers and suddenly got a blast that it sounded a lot like the A100/Leslie 122 combo I'd played just a couple days before. Lovely memories. But my most preferred genres are soul, rnb, gospel, that as well might explain it, not a rock whiz. For hardware, today I enjoy my XK3c with Leslie 2101 lovely combo, very portable when comparing to something like a real B3 and 122. I think I would be quite happy with Mojo if I didn't have this.

11 hours ago, fret_man said:

I couldn't find Blue3 anywhere on the Cherry Audio website, which is why I linked the old GG Audio website. I hope Cherry didn't abandon it.

I hope too, but I'm happy that I can keep my Blue3 as is cause I'm starting being disappointed with all the online-type authorizations, they are giving me too much trouble and Cherry Audio sure is on the dark side. I stopped buying more online-type plugins and prefer the ones like Kazrog or United Plugins now. A good GAS stopper.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 1

Ade on the Cantabile forum (very well known pro keyboard/guitar/composer) recommends the original VB3 through the free Anvil amp simulator (for saturation) and then into the UAD Waterfall Rotary for a rock Hammond B3 emulation (heads up - don't know if they've fixed a requirement for Rotary to check online - I've only used the above in the studio).

I've joined a local open mic playing with an Axiom 61 into a laptop and Behringer UMC202HD USB audio interface running Cantabile with Blue3, B-3X, AcousticSamples B5 or VB3 through an EV ZXA1 SUB and JBL Eon 610. It sounds very good but what works live is very different from studio recording. I've never used VB3-II playing out but it's great for organ trio style playing. The laptop is an almost 10 year old Lenovo x230.

Edited by Doug Steinschneider
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 3:05 PM, fret_man said:

Since the original VB3 and Blue3 are not currently available...

Coming September 4th: Blue3 Returns!

GG Audio's acclaimed Blue3 organ is coming back, and it's better, more affordable, and has a whole new look (with a few surprises) from Cherry Audio.

Join Cherry Audio on Wednesday, September 4th at 10:00am PDT for the Live Premiere of the new Blue3, a meticulously modeled virtual instrument that replicates the most famous tonewheel organs in the world: the B-3, C-3, A-100, L-100, CV, and M-3 models.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And now absolutely coincidentally... "On Sale: Hammond B-3X, only $/€39.99"

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/index.php?A=hammondb3x

Perfect virtual Hammond doesn't exist but if I could choose the tonewheels from GSi, leslie from IK, Cherry Audio pricing and GG Audio's no strings licensing that would be my perfect Hammond ITB.

Edited by chris.r
  • Like 2