Beginner help , still dont have midi playback (correctly).

Mike Rothacker

Question

I downloaded Cakewalk to edit midi files. Ive managed to sort of get it to play some vst sounds internally  but it usually plays one instrument for all of the tracks. Every reference post or viseo i read or watched said i need to select TTS-1 which i have found out is no longer available and i dont have an older version of Cakewalk. So my question is in light of no tts-1 and not being able to find it online to download does this in fact makè cakewalk useless for how i want to use it ??? Ive been working on this for a week and i thought i would ask just in case there is some other fix someone knows before i remove it. Thanks !

7 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Mike Rothacker said:

I downloaded Cakewalk to edit midi files. Ive managed to sort of get it to play some vst sounds internally  but it usually plays one instrument for all of the tracks. Every reference post or viseo i read or watched said i need to select TTS-1 which i have found out is no longer available and i dont have an older version of Cakewalk. So my question is in light of no tts-1 and not being able to find it online to download does this in fact makè cakewalk useless for how i want to use it ??? Ive been working on this for a week and i thought i would ask just in case there is some other fix someone knows before i remove it. Thanks !

I vaguely recall there was a discussion of possible alternatives.  If nothing else, you should be able to use GM hardware modules.  A few months ago (maybe more), I reconnected one of my Roland M-GS64 Sound Modules and it worked to play some non-original midi files I had.  If I find the link to the discussion of software GM compatible softsynths, I will add it below (unless someone else beats me to it). 

Edited by User905133
fixed grammatical error (Module --> Modules)

Yeah thanks , i was justrying to use it as a standalone with my laptop to edit midi files and then generate tones with vst.  I think it took me a week to figure out that this wont do what i wanted to use it for. So i have removed it from my laptop and installed another daw and within an hour or so i had it doing what i was hoping to do. 

1 hour ago, Mike Rothacker said:

Yeah thanks , i was justrying to use it as a standalone with my laptop to edit midi files and then generate tones with vst.  I think it took me a week to figure out that this wont do what i wanted to use it for. So i have removed it from my laptop and installed another daw and within an hour or so i had it doing what i was hoping to do. 

When you click Insert at the top and select Soft Synth, what synths are available to you?

28 minutes ago, Kurre said:

https://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/

It can be used instead of TTS-1.

However, it sounds can't be edited. It follows the GM, general midi, guidelines and have good instrument sounds.

I use this as a convenient alternative to my Yamaha MU10 / MU100R.

Bear in mind though, it's a 32 bit plugin  - although it does work with BitBridge, I get better results with JBridge.

FWIW, unless the MIDI files were specifically written for a sound canvas, in general I think the syx50 sounds better than the TTS-1

6 hours ago, Mike Rothacker said:

Thanks guys ive moved to a different daw.

Best wishes, and thanks for raising the issue and for the replies that came in after Friday. 

I downloaded the Yamaha software synth as suggested and tried it with some old (as in from last century!) midi files I purchased on a licensed, commercial Led Zeppelin 3.5" floppy disk.  The drums and some other sounds from the Yamaha were not as good as the TTS-1 and not as good as my memory of whatever my computer used last century (possibly a sound card chip), BUT: the lead guitar on the suggested Yamaha was great!!!!

Not sure I will reorchestrate it, but if I do, I'd use the TTS-1 as the base with the Yamaha on the guitar track.

Edited by User 905133
fixed typo