AMD 9950x

I've been testing the 9950x.
Performance is nearly identical to the 14900k (but at lower TDP).
Ultra low latency audio performance is also nearly identical to the 14900k.
I can play The Grandeur at 96k using a 48-sample ASIO buffer size (0.9ms playback latency)... and audio is completely clean.   (Even when stepping on the sustain pedal and glissing up/down the keyboard like mad... then releasing the sustain pedal)  

The 9950x needs large top-notch AIO cooler.  I'm using a 420mm.
Under stress-test loads (all cores maxed at 100%), it runs cooler/quieter than the 14900k.
Working with audio, both the 9950x and 14900k run quiet.

I'm running a higher-end Asus X670E motherboard (Five internal 4TB M.2 SSDs, Thunderbolt-4, etc).
This build is about $200 more than the comparable 14900k build.

Thunderbolt is working great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still haven't really stressed my 3950x. It's a beast that tears through all manner of workloads without breaking a sweat and with the latest perf updates in Sonar it's a dream DAW. I can't imagine what a monster the 9950x is. 

I  want one.

One BIG downer (until it's addressed).

If you use an iLok, the "Pace License Services" currently won't run.
The service tries to start... stops... tries to start... stops (in repeated loop).
Can't open the iLok License Manager... or use any software/plugins protected by iLok.
I've submitted a support ticket making them aware of the issue.

I'm sure they'll get it squared away. Just a question of how long.
It's not AMDs fault/issue... but compatibility quirks are (slightly) more common vs Intel.
Wish it were something a bit more niche'. I've got a ton of software/plugin licenses on my iLok.

• Sad 1