Clearmountain’s Phases half price

Fleer

I own a bunch of the hardware modules.  Love em.  They used to be hard to come by and when you did find them, they were stupid expensive and in questionable condition.  I think Apogee did a great job on the Auto Flanger.  However, the AutoPhaser rolls off your top end- like, molests everything above 12k, when running sessions lower than 88.2k sample rate .  Worse, this happens with the module set to 100% dry but engaged.  *insert Charlie Brown squiggly above my head* This is a significant problem if you'd like to, say, automate it on your master fader, but also generally just sounds weird to me.  Higher sample rates- this goes away.  Therefore, I consider this a permanent bug and a disappointment in an otherwise great plug in.  *elbow nudge* Feel free to email Apogee tech support about this.  If they reply that Bob himself signed off on the plug in, ask them if he or anyone else there worked at 44.1k or 48k ever when testing it.  

• Like 2

Consensus IDK but for me Clearmountain’s Domain, Spaces, and now Phases, are absolutely up there with the best. And I also love there other FX, especially both Pultecs. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Fleer said:

But…but… it’s Bob Clearmountain…

So true!  I only have Spaces (which I got on sale) and the Soft Limit (which was FREE for a bit).  The others have always been too expensive for me.

I have to say I was a little disappointed in Spaces because I thought it would make my mixes sound like B. Clearmountain.  It has an EQ for the verb which is cool and a DeEsser as well, which is extra cool.  It's "magic" is blending the 3 reverbs, which are decent, but only the 3 is limiting.  For some reason, I find I reach for others before this one, other than the Big Bottom preset for my kicks (sometimes).

I am pleasantly surprised by the Soft Limit plugin and like it a lot. I use it mainly to smooth and de-harsh electrics and vocals.

Edited by mibby
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Fleer said:

Also check out Clearmountain’s Domain when it’s on sale. Incredible presets linked to some incredible music he mixed. 

I've watched it for years because, well, B. Clearmountain. But it has never even approached a range I was tempted to buy. Same with this one, Phases...  Sorry Bob.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, mibby said:

make my mixes sound like B. Clearmountain.

jmho, but the key to many of his better mixes is the arrangement. perhaps he could put out another version of Spaces that does nothing but delete the clutter.

13 hours ago, mibby said:

It's "magic" is blending the 3 reverbs, which are decent, but only the 3 is limiting.

or the "magic" of only using 3 but picking the right 3. Al Schmitt is noted for only using a couple of reverbs, but then again, he had the benefit of some pretty good sounding rooms/chambers to work with.

3 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

i wonder how much he gets paid for putting his name on software? i wonder if he ever used software in any of his own stuff

He’s married to the Apogee CEO. 

7 minutes ago, mibby said:

Yeah, that $199 sale price is about 4x higher than where I'd start thinking about it.  Don't get me wrong, while I'm intrigued and have HUGE respect for Bob, he's mixed some of my favorite records, but I'm also cheap...  🥸

You and me, mibs, you and me

• Haha 1