BBCSO Core

bitflipper

I've been thinking about upgrading my symphonic toolkit lately, triggered by Albion One going on sale. Thanks, btw, to everyone who offered thoughts in my other thread about Albion One. That conversation got me going on an exploratory safari to see what's out there, and who's offering the biggest bang:buck ratio.

While poking about and making a list of candidates worthy of my hard-earned dollars, I kept coming back to Spitfire's BBC Symphonic Orchestra Core. It sounds great and seems to include every feature I'd need. Except maybe the lack of mic options that other libraries have, but I'm not overly concerned about that, as I am a certified reverb ninja.

So two questions. First, for those who have BBSCO Core (or Professional), do you use it as your go-to orchestral library (vs. just another flavor to layer with other libs). Second, did you buy it on sale and for how much? It's currently $449.

Here's my receipt:

(BBC Symphony Orchestra Core is ready for download)

Your purchase of BBC Symphony Orchestra Core is ready to download! Step-by-step instructions are shown below, but if you have any problems downloading, please visit our support page to get in touch with us.

Install the Spitfire Audio App

Please visit this page to download and install the latest version of the Spitfire Audio App. There is a video on the download process here.

Download and install your software

BBC Symphony Orchestra Core is a plugin and requires no additional software to run other than your DAW.

Load up the latest version of the Spitfire Audio App on the computer where you want to use BBC Symphony Orchestra Core and you will see your purchase waiting for download.

To begin downloading, click the 'Install' button. Select the folder where you'd like the sample content, patches and presets to go and the download will begin.

VST, AU and AAX plugin files will be installed in the default system locations.

You can pause and resume downloads at any time.

Authorise your Library

During installation, your software will be automatically authorised for use on the current computer. If you wish to use the software on a second computer, you can copy the BBC Symphony Orchestra Core folder across and then use the "locate" and "reauthorise" function in the Spitfire Audio App to authorise the plugin.

Discover more

For more information about your new library including videos, demos, specifications and the manual, please visit: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/bbc-symphony-orchestra-core/

All the best,
Paul, Christian and the Spitfire Team

Time of order

August 2022

Order summary

BBC Symphony Orchestra Core $269.00

Total$269.00

Yes, I bought it on sale.  Hope this helps you :)

Edited by GTsongwriter
more information
  • Like 1

I paid 200€ (10/2021). I used the "Thank you for helping Christian reach 100k YouTube subscribers. - 50% discount on eligible items" code.

I don't have one library I use, but I think this is one of the best choices if you have to choose one.

They'll probably have a decent sale in October again.

• Like 1

I picked and waited for the sale of BBC Symphony Orchestra Core because Albion One is significantly older than the BBC Symphony Orchestra Core by around 8 years. Also, I wanted my instruments to sound more realistic.

Here’s something to help you decide:

Albion One vs. BBC Symphony Orchestra Core

1. Purpose and Design:
   - Albion One:
     - Designed as an all-in-one cinematic orchestral toolkit.
     - Focuses on providing a broad range of orchestral sounds, combining orchestral sections, loops, percussion, and hybrid elements.
     - Aimed at composers who need a quick, versatile solution for cinematic music, particularly in film, TV, and video game scoring.

- BBC Symphony Orchestra Core:
     - Designed to offer a highly detailed and realistic orchestral experience.
     - Focuses on accurately capturing the sound of a full symphony orchestra, recorded at the famous Maida Vale Studios.
     - Aimed at composers and producers looking for authentic orchestral sounds, ideal for traditional orchestral scoring in a wide range of genres.

2. Sound Quality and Articulations:
   - Albion One:
     - Includes a broad range of articulations, but they are more general and aimed at versatility rather than deep detail.
     - Offers an ensemble-based approach, where sections like strings, brass, and woodwinds are recorded together, providing a lush, cinematic sound but with less control over individual instruments.
     - Incorporates both organic and hybrid sounds, with some synths and effects for modern cinematic scoring.

- Provides a more detailed and nuanced sound with a wide range of articulations for each instrument section.
     - Recorded with individual instruments and sections, allowing for precise control over the orchestral sound.
     - Emphasizes realism and authenticity, capturing the subtlety of the orchestra with great depth.

3. Flexibility and Workflow:
   - Albion One:
     - Offers a faster workflow for those looking to quickly sketch ideas or create cinematic scores without needing to tweak individual instruments.
     - The hybrid elements and loops make it ideal for modern, epic, or action-oriented compositions.
     - It’s more of a "grab-and-go" tool, especially useful for deadlines and fast-paced production environments.

- Provides greater flexibility in terms of orchestral detail and control.
     - Allows composers to build more intricate and traditional orchestral arrangements, with individual instruments and detailed articulations.
     - It may require more time and effort to work with, but the results are highly realistic and refined.

4. Learning Curve and Usability:
   - Albion One:
     - Generally easier to use, with a more accessible interface and a quicker learning curve.
     - Ideal for beginners or those who need a quick and efficient scoring tool.

- May require more time to learn due to its depth and complexity.
     - Better suited for composers with experience in orchestral scoring or those who require a high level of control and detail in their compositions.

5. Price Point:
   - Albion One:
     - Positioned at a mid-range price point, making it a good value for what it offers as an all-in-one orchestral tool.
     - A good investment for those looking for a versatile and comprehensive cinematic scoring solution.

- Generally priced higher than Albion One, reflecting its focus on quality and realism.
     - Considered a good investment for those serious about orchestral composition and who need a professional-grade orchestral library.

6. Use Cases:
   - Albion One:
     - Best for cinematic, epic, and action-driven scores, where quick results and a lush, ensemble sound are needed.
     - Great for sketching ideas and for use in media that require a modern, hybrid orchestral approach.

- Best for traditional orchestral work, film scores, classical music, and any project requiring a high degree of realism and detail.
     - Ideal for composers looking to replicate the sound of a real orchestra with precision.

Conclusion:
   - Albion One is an excellent choice if you need a versatile, cinematic toolkit that can produce epic sounds quickly and efficiently.
   - BBC Symphony Orchestra Core is the better option if you require a detailed, realistic orchestral library for more traditional or nuanced compositions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got it for $145 while it was %50 off plus a stacking cart code of %35 a few months ago. I'm no fan of classical-sounding libraries but didn't want to miss that price. I'm sure that, one day it can find a place on a project or I can use it for layering.  I don't advise paying the full price. Spitfire is also on the discount train and they are very aware of it.

I don't have the Albion One but I'm in love with the sound and will get it when there's a better discount. They are completely different by the way. Albion One is more Hans Zimmerish and a pre-processed library with synths and some other non-orchestral elements. Trailerish massive sound out of the box. You can control the main sections and there are no solo instruments. It's recorded in Air Lyndhurst and it's baked in with the signature Air room sound. It runs in Kontakt player so better CPU optimization. Larger in size than BBCSO.

BBSCO Core is recorded at Maida Vale. The very classical orchestral sound fits for more standard orchestral composing. Articulations are plenty but it's hard to get a tight and aggressive sound out of it. Also, it's more dipped in reverb since the Core version has 1 mixed microphone option. It's possible but not tailored for hybrid pop, rock, trailer, or any modern productions out of the box. It gives you more partial control than the Albion One. It runs in Spitfire's engine: longer load times and more CPU and RAM usage.

BBCSO alternatives: Orchestral Tools Berlin Orchestra with Berkley (It's possible to get it for a closer price with BBCSO Core on sale. And for Berklee students, it's 100 bucks)
Berlin Orchestra Inspire (It was 100 bucks a few weeks ago I'm not sure if the voucher is still valid)
Iconica series by Steinberg
VSL Synchron Prime

Albion One alternatives: Spitfire Abbey Road Orchestral Foundations (The sound is best in my opinion but the main package doesn't have so much articulation, it's Spitfire engine)
Audio Imperia Nucleus (I got the lite version, UI is great everything is so easy, very dry and epic sound with choir and synths but less exciting than Albion One)
Orchestral Tools Metropolis Ark 1 (Great all-in-one epic library, a little pricier works in SINE engine or Kontakt)

• Thanks 2

I was enamored by the mere fact that I could get the BBC orchestra in a box. Got the full one, allowing for so many different uses due to the multitude of mic positions. With regard to Albion One, which I got early on and love for orchestral sketching, I’ve always preferred Albion Tundra and Albion Neo, as I dig their focus on minimalism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fleer said:

I was enamored by the mere fact that I could get the BBC orchestra in a box. Got the full one, allowing for so many different uses due to the multitude of mic positions. With regard to Albion One, which I got early on and love for orchestral sketching, I’ve always preferred Albion Tundra and Albion Neo, as I dig their focus on minimalism. 

What did you do with the people?

I've become a little soured with Spitfire. I bought their BBSO a few years ago and they won't offer me an upgrade path to their recent product. I know it sounds fine but I hesitate to invest more time into an obsolete product (their words) with no future. And they won't let you sell your license to anyone else so I'd have to buy the new product outright if I ever want the newest versions.

But I'm enjoying EastWest products right now.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I am a certified reverb ninja.

That may well be, but to use BBCSO Core's "one-mic-mix-only" approach, you'd actually need to be a DE-reverb ninja.

All that to say; BBCSO Core is very wet, and there's nothing you can do about it - it's baked into the samples - although I'll tip my hat to you if you think you are brave enough to negotiate that.

Personally, I have BBCSO Pro, which I got in the aforementioned time of one of Christian Henson's one-off 50% sales - I also owned BBCSO Discover which counted towards an upgrade discount back then, so my price was £425.   As noted, Pro includes a plethora of mics allowing you to run the gamut from fairly dry and close, to wide, far, and even Atmos.  

Having said all that, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra is now a very viable alternative.  It could well come down to which room sound you prefer, although it's worth noting that while BBCSO (Pro version) comes with solo string instruments (so called "Leaders"), SSO does not.

Finally, 2024 seems to be the year of the ever-changing-perma-sale from Spitfire, so in no way would it make sense to hand over $449 for BBCSO Core.  

Research a little more, listen to more demos, watch more videos, and allow a little more time to pass before coming to a decision :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joeletters said:

to use BBCSO Core's "one-mic-mix-only" approach, you'd actually need to be a DE-reverb ninja

Great observation. I watched Guy Michelmore's video comparing BBCSO and SSO, in which he demonstrates that the latter is drier. That would be my preference, especially for low strings. However, that alone isn't a big enough deal to warrant an extra $200. But the extra mic positions, articulations and instruments might.

I don't know why I'm so reluctant to spend $629 on a sample library, when I have no reservations about blowing much more on hardware. Heck, that's about what I paid for a single 4-fixture light bar for the band. That rarely gets used. Indeed, I have probably spent much more on cables alone!

2 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

I don't know why I'm so reluctant to spend $629 on a sample library

because you shouldn't!

Wait for an SSO sale.  It was recently 50% off and I'd think it highly likely it will be on sale again before BF.

• Great Idea 1

14 minutes ago, Fleer said:

SO SO

(yet scrumptious)

I'm tempted to try eating the VSL Symphonic Cube, but I'm scared it will get stuck in my throat, and it will be too dry!!

Maybe I need to wash it down with plenty of liquid (sonics!)

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, bitflipper said:

who's offering the biggest bang:buck ratio

I forgot to mention that IMO Musio has the best bang/buck ratio currently. They're selling Musio 1 (perpetual license) for $199. You get a huge collection of high quality libraries. Strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion, drums, choirs, synths, world instruments, pianos, organs... All libraries are currently less than 300 GB, and you can download what you want within the plugin. (They haven't added more mic positions yet.)

https://musio.com/catalog/

• Like 1

I have had a tendency to go to SSO more often than the BBCSO Pro or even E/W Hollywood Opus as I find it "lighter", more responsive, and definitely more dry & tight. For what I spent on the BBCSO (even though it has paid for itself) I really don't get into it as much as I should. Plus, IMHO the SSO has some really cool articulations & effects that just aren't common.
Altho, I've heard that the new E/W Hollywood Strings 2 is tighter and more chamber-like. Looking forward to that one near BF.