Input Echo latency

For many years, I had been using a Yamaha 01v and ADAT as my audio interface.  This let me use the 01v’s FX to “wet down” the monitor mix in the headphones to keep vocal clients (mostly me) warm and happy.

I’ve since started using a Cranborne 500R8 rack as my interface (better preamps and more than 18 bit ADC’s).  The problem is, in order to wet the monitor mix, I have to turn on the Input Echo.  I thought I could live with the comb filtering caused by the latency…but then I tried it with a “not me” client, and she wasn’t having it.

I’ve come up with a hack to get around it.  I’m taking a signal from the vocal pre’s insert and feeding it back to the mixer and using that to monitor and wet the signal.

However…I’m wondering why I’m hearing the flangey, comb filtery thing in the first place.  Am I somehow getting the early vocal signal mixed into my monitoring chain, or is that just happening “in my head” as it were?

Does everyone using Input Echo just live with this, or is there something wrong with the way I’m routing stuff?

My current setup shows 1.5 ms (64 sample) buffers (44.1 kHz) for a round trip of 6.4 ms.

(Version 2024.02)

Edited by dantarbill

I personally, don't use the software to monitor. I use my mixer's effects and monitor direct with the HW.  If you are monitoring within the DAW (Sonar) and you are hearing comb filtering type sound you must be hearing a mix of what the DAW is sending and what is directly coming from the audio interface. 

Make sure that if you are input echoing you disable monitoring from your HW interface

15 hours ago, dantarbill said:

Is anyone out there not using a mixer in their setup and just using Input Echo to monitor with FX?

Sometimes I use a mixer sometimes I don't, but I always monitor the input with input echo and have the HW monitor on the input turned off when I record.

Edited by rsinger

8 hours ago, dantarbill said:

Is anyone out there not using a mixer in their setup and just using Input Echo to monitor with FX?

Thanks

Yes.  Works as expected (CPU load permitting).