Somerville Sounds Prototype series cinematic ambient instruments for pay-what-you-want

Starship Krupa

Somerville Sounds offers their Prototype series for pay-what-you-want. Of the three, I've downloaded and tried Antiquarian Echoes and Meyer Choir. Both are ENORMOUS sounding pad instruments that kind of remind me of Atmos (the piano-based virtual instrument). Antiquarian Echoes is based on guitar samples, although I'd be hard pressed to figure that out from the finished product.

I watched the video by the proprietor, Jon Meyer, where he talks about how he created the instruments. I recommend this, because his folksy manner and friendly appearance (the Meyer Choir is based on the voices of him, his lovely wife and their two kids) will not prepare you for the massive walls of cinematic ambient sound that these things generate.

Jon looks and speaks like a friendly guy you'd run into at the local blues open jam. His website features photos of old pickup trucks and dusty smalltown main streets.

His instruments on the other hand sound like they came out of some spartan loft studio in Berlin.

In other words, he's my kinda madman and should be encouraged, so having downloaded and enjoyed his products, I'm going to kick some coins his way in appreciation.

He calls them the "Prototype" series, and if this is what he comes up with when he's just messing about, his commercial products must be outstanding.

Edited by Starship Krupa
  • Like 3