Baldwin Electric Harpsichord (not a deal)

Vernon Barnes

Not a deal but If anyone knows they are likely to be here.  I am trying to find a VSTi or Kontakt library of a 1960s Baldwin Electric Harpsichord as used by the Beatles, Pink Floyd and many others.

I have the "Because I am a Harpsichord" patch in EastWest's Fab Four which is nice but a tad limited.

I found this one which looks very good but its a little on the expensive side for something that will only get occasional use. 

https://antiquitymusic.com/samples/electric-harpsichord

I did not see anything in my UVI subscription of Sampletank 4

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, jude77 said:

I don't know the first thing about Reason, and all Reason instruments may only work in that eco-system, but if they work in other daws this may be worth looking at

I saw those but I had assumed you would need Reason. Like you I know very little about Reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jude77 said:

I don't know the first thing about Reason, and all Reason instruments may only work in that eco-system, but if they work in other daws this may be worth looking at:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack-extension/combo-electric-harpsichord/?channel=paid_search&subchannel=cpc&campaign=403049746

Unfortunately their sample based REs need the sample of the OS drive. It's not as flexible as other players.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 6:55 AM, Vernon Barnes said:

Not a deal but If anyone knows they are likely to be here.  I am trying to find a VSTi or Kontakt library of a 1960s Baldwin Electric Harpsichord as used by the Beatles, Pink Floyd and many others.

This has been a holy grail sound of mine for a very long time.

Sergio Mendes used one on Herb Alpert Presents Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66, on "Slow Hot Wind." Those early Brasil 66 albums have some of my favorite sounds ever. In addition to grand piano he used combo organs, electric harpsichord, etc.

If you do manage to track one down, please mention it.

• Like 3

@Vernon Barnes check this out.

It is Angelic Keys from Orange Tree Samples $24 (Full Kontakt Required)

This has “that” cool harpsichord like sound and might be exactly what you are looking for. I picked it up during one of the group buys. Enjoy!
Simeon

https://www.orangetreesamples.com/products/angelic-keys

Angelic Keys captures the heavenly tone of a 53-key spinet harpsichord, also known as a virginal. The spinet harpsichord has a much quieter sound than a full-size harpsichord. Its pureness of tone is due to the fact that each key plucks a single string rather than unisons (multiple strings tuned to the same pitch to increase the instrument's volume). Because of its quieter tone, the spinet harpsichord also lends itself to smaller ensembles and makes it easier to blend in your mix. We've included the close and far mic positions as separate signals so that you can customize the sound of the instrument. For added realism, we made sure to preserve all the resonance and every buzz in the releases to recreate the true character of a spinet harpsichord. Whether you're writing 18th century classical music or hipster singer-songwriter tunes, Angelic Keys will make a great addition to your sound palette--and at a price that won't make you go baroque!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Simeon Amburgey said:

@Vernon Barnes check this out.

It is Angelic Keys from Orange Tree Samples $24 (Full Kontakt Required)

This has “that” cool harpsichord like sound and might be exactly what you are looking for. I picked it up during one of the group buys. Enjoy!
Simeon

Thanks Simeon. I already have this and like it a lot, but its a acoustic so a fair bit different to the Baldwin which is solid bodied with pickups like an electric guitar.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I weakened and purchased the Antiquity Music Kontakt library I mentioned in the original post because I have the sound in mind for a song I am currently working on.

Antiquity Music Electric Harpsichord - Samples

I like it, the four pickups have individual volume and pan controls so you can freely mix the front and back pickups to sculpt the sound. Front and back also have bass and treble sections with a configurable split point so you can set up a split keyboard. 

You can select undamped, lightly and fully damped articulations. The undamped is reminiscent of the Beatles "Because" and the damped Floyd's "See Emily Play"

The sound is quite bright but a bit of EQ would mellow it if that's what your required.

There are a range of built in Kontakt effects but no amp sim but I would probably prefer to add one in the DAW in most cases. If you want to apply different effects to the different pickups you will need to do some routing to the stereo output in a DAW. I used Studio One's splitter as a test and it worked well.

Edited by Vernon Barnes
  • Like 2